Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Basshole

To all you guitar players, What basses do you like?

It feels like im the only "true" bass player in here (im shure they are some others as well). If you had to play bass for band or someother group. What bass would you play? Does anybody play bass and guitar in regulary?

What AXE said, particularly if it's player rides an A or E to fill out my sound.

(Man, my brother the bass player hates it when I say that.)

I started out playing bass, at least in bands (nothing serious though).

I was luck enough at the time to have enough money to buy and trade for some pretty nice basses and amps -- Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Pedulla, NS electric upright, Steinberg, etc. But a few years ago, I settled on a 78 Fender Precision that I think sounds and plays better than any of them (faded three tone sunburst with maple neck). I also have a Hohner B2A that is really a nice sounding bass for the money. I need to put it back together, but it's OK and really small when you don't want to play the big muther. But the Precision gives me a solid, deep tone that the others never did.

What do you play?

The only thing I ever here from our bass is' date=' "got anymore beer?".

He's got a savant thing going on.[/quote']

No, you also hear "Man, I gotta go to the bathroom...." which is usually followed by watching the paint peel off our walls.

i have a cheapo yamaha bass, piece-o-crap but its fun to mess around on, its cool to have a bass just to play when you want

thunderbirds are F-cking sweet, those new zebrawood ones are gorgeous

though when i have a chance to get a nice bass its going to be a fretless with flatwound strings, oh man so fun to play on

if there was a fretless thunderbird that'd be the one

i also have always had a thing for the RD artist shape, only for bass though, kinda hate the shape on guitar

I'm actually an upright bassist so you're not alone. During my tenure at college I was the only upright bassist so I got a crapload of work. I was in almost every jazz ensemble in the school.

After playing upright for a few years you get kind of tired of electric basses. They are cool but you can get a pickup and put it on the bass and it sounds pretty neat through a nice tube amp.

I recently got a Rick 4003 with the vintage toaster top pickup (the neck one.) The neck isn't really for me but the sound is KILLER. In my opinion there's no bass that can hold up tone-wise to a Rick. They have a great low end but there's also a piano like quality to the way the notes ring. Playing high up on the neck sounds amazing.

I really want a vintage horseshoe pickup for mine but they run close to 1000 dollars and nobody wants to part with theirs.

If I could get my hands on a fretless Rick 4001 then I would be the happiest bassist ever.

I have kept my band together for 17 years with the same members EXCEPT bass players, there has been 7 of 8 of them through the years (insert your favorite bass player joke here). When I asked my current bassman if he would be willing to play an upright for our acoustic shows, he looked at me kind of cockeyed and said "there's a reason Leo Fender invented the electric bass" (he plays an old Fender Jazz Bass).

I own a Robin bass with active electronics that sounds fantastic. It's based on the original Precision in design. I borrowed it from a friend for a recording session years ago and refused to give it back (gave him cash instead). The first time the sound of the bass really jumped up and slapped me in the face was Chris Squire of Yes and his Rick.

All that said, IF I was performing bass player, it would have to be the classic Fender Precision Bass.

I got to Jonesin' for a bass a few months ago cuz I've never tried learning it. So I picked up this Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 and Fender Bassman outfit at GC for starters and have been really enjoying the learning and practicing. When I feel I'm good enough, I'll take some lessons for a couple months. Ultimately I'd like to have one built for me.

SchecterBass.jpg

I started on Bass and acoustic guitar at the same time, it was an Astro P-Bass copy.

Now I like the P/J Basses(P bass with a Jazz pick up in the bridge position), Epi-Violoa bass, EB-#, Ripper, the Jackson Cliff Burton used, and Jackson made a kick *** bass in the 80's but I don't know what it was called.

If I had one bass for recording it would be my Brothers Epiphone Limited editon Les Paul.

2321958080100337768S425x425Q85.jpg

This is mine. 1882 Carvin - stereo too. Sounds good, though I only use it for occasional recording. I've had it for a long time, but I don't even have a picture of it. Pretty much lives under the bed in the case until I need it.

82_lb50bass-large.jpg

My bass is a custom built bass by my old bass player. At one time I think he wanted to start a business building them.

It's a cool corvet yellow with active pickups - the pups each have 3 mini switches built into the pup - yeah it's about 18 years old as the idea of switches on the pup itself wasn't a big hit.

It is definately a rock bass - just by the feel of it. However I do enjoy a Fender Jazz bass; Jaco Pastorious thumped some outrageous stuff on a jazz bass!

I had a nice Gibson Grabber back around 1990 that I really liked, but it was heavy.

I had a Spector Rebop that was killer. Traded it away last year though. I decided to get rid of all my bass gear and stick with six strings.