Gibson Brands Forums

To all you guitar players, What basses do you like?

Basshole

I have had this Ibanez Soundgear bass for years. I love the thing. I do play bass' date=' and I do get bass gigs; I love playing bass. I play with my fingers and try to slap. I am a little inexpirenced on the slapping part but one thing I have been told and I take it as a complement. I have been told I do not play like a guitar player playing bass, I play like a bass player playing bass. Playing bass has helped with my guitar playing especially when it comes to either figuring out riffs or coming up with new riffs.

[center']l_45af1169755636c4f7c6deba35bf0a1b.jpg[/center]

l_d48ed1ddd1e8ac6ed55b31986898173d.jpg

I had that bass when I started playing again. Now I have a white Soundgear SRX2EX2, one of those GC exclusives. It's not bad, I really just use it when I record a song on my pc.

At the risk of showing my ignorance I ask. Am I the only one who can't tell the difference from one bass to another? I've had friends with expensive basses and rigs over and have been to jams with some really exotic bass rigs. I really don't here the difference between the exotic stuff and my cheap a$$ peavee. Hell, when using a bass, we often go DI box direct to the PA. I do have some major hereditary hearing issues, so maybe that's the problem. I can easily tell LP from other guitars, but bass don't have the distention to me.

At the risk of showing my ignorance I ask. Am I the only one who can't tell the difference from one bass to another? I've had friends with expensive basses and rigs over and have been to jams with some really exotic bass rigs. I really don't here the difference between the exotic stuff and my cheap a$$ peavee. Hell' date=' when using a bass, we often go DI box direct to the PA. I do have some major hereditary hearing issues, so maybe that's the problem. I can easily tell LP from other guitars, but bass don't have the distention to me.

[/quote']

Oh yeah, there's differences. Maybe the bass players you've played with didn't care to set their stuff, but if you put if you went direct into the PA, like you said, you should have noticed the characteristics of different basses. Just like guitars with Bolt on necks have more Pop or Bounce or whatever you wanna call it, Set encks have a thicker sound with more sutain. Basses with cheap pick ups will be less sensitive to a players dynamics. Good Pick ups have Fuller Range, as in Mid Range and Treble. A good Bass and Bass amp will bring out the Mids and Treble, a Cheap Bass is all Bass or all Mids, never good treble response.

I have had this Ibanez Soundgear bass for years. I love the thing. I do play bass' date=' and I do get bass gigs; I love playing bass. I play with my fingers and try to slap. I am a little inexpirenced on the slapping part but one thing I have been told and I take it as a complement. I have been told I do not play like a guitar player playing bass, I play like a bass player playing bass. Playing bass has helped with my guitar playing especially when it comes to either figuring out riffs or coming up with new riffs.

[center']l_45af1169755636c4f7c6deba35bf0a1b.jpg[/center]

l_d48ed1ddd1e8ac6ed55b31986898173d.jpg

My first bass was a ibanez sound gear. I loved how it was a shorter scale neck but still have 25 frets. Its was great but it sounded crappy, liitle did I know. I forgot I hade to change the battery on the back.

I like to call myself the wannabe bassist... my guitar is tuned low and sounds like a bass quite a bit. It's a cool affect, it can sound like I'm playing chords and riffs etc. with a bass. I also like using my guitar through tube bass amps better than standard tube guitar amps. My next instrument purchase will almost positively be a bass. What one i don't know, it depends on how i'm doing $$ wise then.

I like rickenbacker, wahl, & gretsch basses typically but i'm not that picky. I will, if at all possible, find a bass w/ a whammy bar or mod it with one. I played a bass w/ a whammy a bit ago, It was awesome!

lol chapman sticks are rediculous. I think you arent supposed to strum those monsters' date=' only trill and hammer away on them. [/quote']

Yep Basshole correct no strumming or plucking really play it with tapping but almost all string effect bends, hammer on, slides etc. all work with ten strings and a full wide neck you can get fast and crazy. it has great sound and you can split the tome from the pickups separately so the standard tuning i run through a standard tube amp the low end drops into a bass amp giving me the best of both world. thing is insanely popular at gigs everybody wants to touch it and here it's story. so all said it's a blast and as long as you play it almost like a piano rather than strings instrument it's got amazing tone and depth

10_string_Chapman_Stick.jpg

Aint that something' date=' when its time to change basses go to your local junk yard.............. thats just cool[/quote']

LOL! Makes me think of that old saying, if it ain't got a string, it ain't worth a thing...:-s

Archived