Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Question

kyle

I just got my RIP package today and have had a little time to play with it. While using the RIP, every 10-15 seconds I get a bad crackling sound. I tried recording a little to make sure that it wasn't a problem with the headphones or the headphone jack, and it records with the crackling sound. Is there some sort of setting I need to change or is my RIP defective? I don't think it is my computer. My computer is 2.4 ghz, 4gb of ram, vista 64-bit.

Suggestions? Thanks.

That is a known problem. Once a minute the RIP tries to charge the Dark Fire guitar, and you get "rice crispy" crackle - audio drop outs.

- see the bug list above

Soon there will be updated RIP Console app that will solve this problem - I spoke with Echo Audio and they are on it and will release an update later this month.

solution for now - use a mono guitar cable between Dark Fire and RIP and use the Dark Fire Mag PUs in GR3

----

How to hear the ?RIP periodic one minute interval recharge Bug!

1) Use Firewire 1394A cable to connect RIP to PC/Mac

2) Connect the DC Power Adapter to RIP.

3) Connect Headphones to RIP Headphone Jack.

4) Launch the RIP Console Application.

5) Launch Guitar Rig and select a typical patch - i.e. Bank 030 Pop, 007 Mark In Arms ( LP Neck).

6) Plug in Dark Fire to RIP Guitar Input using TRS Stereo Cable.

7) Rotate the MCK full clockwise to ?Peg? - then Pull Up -observe the RIP Blue LED glows Brightly.

8) Gently play the guitar until it is in tune - MCK Indicators light - then once guitar is in tune, ?Peg? led glows Blue, and ?Acoustic? LED (Piezo) glows Green.

9) Rotate the MCK to ?D?.

10) Push the MCK all the way Down and start playing the guitar. A momentary ?pop? is heard when the MCK is pushed down - but observe with a stop watch the current time (an internal one minute ?timer? in RIP has just begun),and the RIP Blue LED will dim and stay dimly lit.

11) Keep playing - all seems normal and RIP Blue LED remains dimly lit.

12) Exactly one minute after step 10, (and each minute there after) - the RIP Blue LED will suddenly Glow Brightly for two seconds, and a coincident ?Pop, Glitch ?audio drop out will be heard for 2 seconds duration in the headphones.

13) Keep playing - all seems normal again. The RIP Blue LED returns the to the steady Dimly lit state.

14) Now exactly 2 minutes after Step #10, the events of Step #12 repeat al over again - a 2 second ?Pop, Glitch? occurs at one minute intervals for the duration of play.

15) Observe that if you are recording with Ableton Live or any other DAW application - there will be an audio drop out on the recording coincident with each occurrence of the ?Pop, Glitch? from step #12 - making error free recordings longer than one minute duration impossible.

Status: Echo Audio is adding controls to the RIP Console that will allow you to set when the RIP goes into charge mode, as well as manually turning charge mode on and off.

I think my problem may be something different. I hear the pop at one minute, but there is also random but frequent (every 10-20 seconds) crackling while I play. Is this a latency issue? It occurs even when guitar rig is set on by-pass.

That may be something different.

Is the MCK pulled UP - - when the MCK is in the UP (Out) position and LEDs are on - yes you may experience random static.

BE sure to take a break and fully charge the guitar using the Black Charge box.

I have been adjusting the settings and I cannot get rid of the crackling. When I use the RIP in stand-alone mode, such that it is not going through any computer processing, I get no crackling, but that means I can't use Guitar Rig. I am thinking the integrated soundcard in my so called high-end Dell XPS M1330 is the problem. Any idea if adding this would help?

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16642&nav=1

Here's the specs of my computer:

XPS M1330, Intel Core 2 Duo T8300(2.4GHz, 800Mhz, 3M L2 Cache)

4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm

128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, for XPS M1330 $0.00

320G 5400RPM SAMSUNG Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows Vista with SP1 Home Premium Edition 64-bit Edition

Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0

As is, I am not going to be able to use Guitar Rig. It sounds terrible.

On a semi-related note, Elantric, how are you using your DF for gigs with the RIP charging pop bug? Are you not using the RIP?

Since you supposedly should be using RIP for Inputs AND Outputs*, other sound card(s) should not be used nor interfere in the process.

But to answer you question, even if this may not change you RIP crackling issue. The XF-i looks good, but it is its drivers that are the key here. If you can only use it with regular Windows drivers, it won't work that well with GR3 or Live, albeit maybe there was some improvement with Vista in this regards. What is needed here is ASIO driver support and I am not sure the XF-i has that. Though "ASIO for all" could help, perhaps, a good solid card supporting ASIO with its own low latency drivers is the way to go.

*To my knowledge, at least on a Mac only Live allows you to use a different sound cards for In and for Out. Which btw is really useful with DF, as you can use RIP for the 6 strings + Piezo Mix + Mag inputs, then use your regular soundcard for Outputs.

On a semi-related note, Elantric, how are you using your DF for gigs with the RIP charging pop bug? Are you not using the RIP?

Dark Fire> Mono guitar cord> Roland Cube Street

This is for my acoustic duo

Live big band

Dark Fire> Mono guitar cord> Typical stomp boxes> Roland Cube 60

I'm still sorting out the RIP +Macbook for live use.

And I get no crackles with RIP + GR3 when using a mono guitar cord between Dark Fire and RIP.

Also Hex Processing works with no crackles with RIP - and TRS cable - just note you must keep the MCK knob in the "up (out) position.

The RIP noise Bug (see bug list) only occurs when the MCK is "down" and using TRS cable and mag PU ( no hex piezo)

Seems many folks become very confused - and think they will continue employing a third party sound card with Dark Fire, RIP and GR3, Ableton.

The RIP is a Firewire sound card. The Rip stereo outputs connect to self powered full range studio monitors.

I use Samson Resolv 65A , Others use Mackie HR824, Genelec, JBL LSR, etc.

Read the Dark Fire RIP and Setup manuals to the letter, get the basic Dark Fire package working as described in the manuals.

After you get the above working - then you may dabble with multiple audio devices - using either aggregate devices on the Mac, or use ASIO4ALL driver and third party audio interface on WinXP, Vista32,

But in my experience multiple audio interfaces spells disaster - lots of crackles and popping, and out of sync latency.

I don't use multiple audio devices on any platform ever, and never recommend anyone else to waste time trying.

My sound card seems to be the only weak link in my computer, so I thought maybe it was the problem, but I guess it isn't. Maybe my RIP is defective. I didn't think it was the RIP because I get no crackling in stand-alone mode. I've tried every buffering size possibility and have even tried disabling other processes such as my integrated webcam, as the manual suggested. So far, no luck.

Disable onboard

* Bluetooth,

* Wifi

Be sure you are NOT using your onboard sound card in GR3, Ableton.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13494

I recall, The RIP Vista driver is 32 bit only -

Contact member "icing777"

He got Guitar Rig Ver 3.2 working with Vista64 here:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14408

Might verify that he is using the RIP

*To my knowledge' date=' at least on a Mac only Live allows you to use a different sound cards for In and for Out.[/quote']

on OSX you can create what's called an 'aggregate audio device' combining any number of soundcards into one virtual device. this then appears in your software (any software) as one device with the toal number of ins and outs so you can route whichever way you like ...

doesn't always work as advertised depending on the quality of drivers mostly and ain't brilliant for low latency, but it does work most of the times and has helped me out many times.

Archived