Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Madness

Do p90s feedback easier than humbuckers in a hollowbody?

Lets say if we had the exact same fully hollow guitars, one with p90s and the other humbuckers, would the p90 feedback easier, or would the humbuckers, or wouldnt it make a bit of difference? Thanks!

Lets say if we had the exact same fully hollow guitars' date=' one with p90s and the other humbuckers, would the p90 feedback easier, or would the humbuckers, or wouldnt it make a bit of difference? Thanks![/quote']

The feedback in a hollowbody has MUCH more to do with the construction of the guitar than with the pickups. I'd say it would be pretty much the same.

To oversimplify, I would say a humbucker might feed back a little sooner.

Here's your problem, there isn't just one humbucker or P-90.

Gibson has made a bunch of different ones, as has everybody else.

The thing to look at is the sensitivity of the pickup.

The higher the output, the more prone they are to feedback - as a rule.

I've had lots of P-90's and I love them.

I find the feedback to more controlled, something you'll already be doing to keep hum to a minimum.

Feedback seems easier to use and manage with the P-90.

Hollowbodies are wasted with a humbucker in them in my opinion.

God intended for them all to have P-90's.

:-)

But hey Neo.....

I'm POSITIVE God intended the ES-339 to have 57 Classics.

=D>

Just sayin'......

Murph.

Lets just call it a sinful pleasure.

Anyway, as to the OP - wouldn't a dog-ear P90 attached directly to the top without springs feed back sooner if the top is vibrating from the soundwaves coming off the amp? Just guessing.

P90's are great pickups. But they are a single coil and may be noisier than a humbucker. H-90's have a dummy coil to cancel noise. Feedback in a hollow body is due to the volume and a hollowbody; both P90 & humbucker will feedback approx. the same in a similar guitar.

re-murph & brundaddy

339's aren't hollowbodies though are they? i thought they were semi-hollow with the block of wood down the middle.

i think different rule for semi-hollows maybe because the pickups are largely picking up the sustained vibes from the centre wood so much less feedback

also strange to hear you say you think humbuckers are livelier than single coils - warmer maybe, but i don't think livelier. in my experience anyway

1. full hollow is more likely to feedback for one, or for every cause that might cause feedback.

2. 339 = semi. Murph is very safe.

Lets say if we had the exact same fully hollow guitars' date=' one with p90s and the other humbuckers, would the p90 feedback easier, or would the humbuckers, or wouldnt it make a bit of difference? Thanks![/quote']

Wouldn't make much difference. You get a bit more hum with a singlecoil than you do with a 'bucker, but it's the HOLLOWBODY part that's causing your feedback, and that doesn't change with the move to humbuckers.

I depends on the output and the frequency response of the pickups in question. I hot p-90 with a lot of low mid energy is going to feedback much more than a low output humbucker.

There is an issue with the P-90s that may make them susceptible to noise and feedback. That issue is the 60-cycle hum; that is why the H-90 was invented. I don't see it on the website anymore. I think Gibson had 2 of them on a limited edition "Guitar of the Month" Les paul model, as well as a Billie Jo Armstrong LP Junior model. As I remember they had no 'dogears' on the Les Paul version, and were white in color. Maybe if you contact Gibson directly maybe they can lead you to a source for these interesting pickups. The H-90 had a dummy coil to prevent the 60-cycle hum.

The Les Paul BFG had a P-90 without 'dogears', too.

I liked the P-90 on an old SG junior I had; I was too young and inexperienced to notice any humming, though. I would suppose in a solid body there would be less noise and feedback.

There is an issue with the P-90s that may make them susceptible to noise and feedback. That issue is the 60-cycle hum

Yes, P-90's are true single coils so they are suseptible to this noise. I don't think this would have anything to do with feedback though. I've just ordered the Lindy Fralin Noiseless P-90's, will give a report once I get them and try them out...

Hollowbody feedback has to do with the top of the guitar vibrating, which happens from acoustic volume, not pickup style. I personally don't think pickups have much of anything to do with it. Scorching hot humbuckers aren't going to feedback any more or less than a wimpy vintage single-coil at bedroom volume levels; likewise they will both howl like dogs cranked on stage...it's about physical vibrations, not pickup calibrations.