Gibson Brands Forums

Neat old pictures!

Gilliangirl

For reference's sake, they were 'musicians' The furnture was probably hand-me-down or "Early Garage Sale". So.. in '63 it was mostly out of style. However those things were bullet proof. I stumbled across on just this week-end at a Salvation Army re-sale shop. The covers are still intact. Can't say that for anything I've bought since the 1970's.

For those of the too-young-to-remember-620-Kodak-film crowd, the date, Oct '63 is the date the film was printed from the negative. The photo finisher did this, not the camera. So, the only thing we know for sure is that the photo was taken before Nov. of '63. Too, my mother has a pic of myself and older sisters standing at a piano bench. I was big enough to stand and walk, obviously, but the margin of the photo reads Feb 1960. I was born in February 1960, so I suspect it was actually taken in late 1960 and printed in 1961. The mail-order photo finisher just forgot to advance the year on his processing machine.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re: JFK.....I was three. The tv wasn't on until the neighbor called and told my mother "they shot that little Kennedy feller". I do remember Walter Cronkite telling the news of his death. Didn't mean much to me at three; I didn't have much concept of death' date=' I just remember everyone being quite upset. For reasons unknown, my mother snapped a photo of the tv when they were showing JFK's photo and when the film was developed, the scree looked dark, just as if the tv was off entirely. Never figured that one out but I'm sure there's an explanation. I still have that cursed tv, the same one I watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Batman, all the 60s Saturday morning cartoons, Hee Haw, Laugh In.... and now it's in my garage. I never could bring myself to hauling it over the dump.[/quote']

That's one of those moments where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing, like when Lennon died. I remember sitting on the floor of the living room, my mom was ironing clothes and we were watching JFK's funeral on the TV. My mom was crying and crying. I remember asking her about it and she said that a good man died. He lived far away from us but the world loved him and he was gone. Ugh, makes me well up even now.

We watched the Ed Sullivan show and Red Skeleton on the same TV too! I remember watching the Beatles and my dad said that if I listened to that kind of music I would end up insane! He was right LOL Anyone remember Clem Cadiddlehopper and Gertrude and Heathcliffe, the seagulls?

{snip}Terry' date=' I have all our old 8mm film and keep meaning to do that. Gotta get on that before it's too late.[i']{snip}[/i]

It may already be too late GG. I think in the next few years, (5 or less) that CD's, and possibly standard DVD's will go the way of 8-tracks, cassettes, and vinyl albums.

Flash drives have become so inexpensive, and readily available. Many auto stereos now even have usb ports. and hard drives. Now that it seems that Blueray is going to become the standard, the end of DVD's may be delayed, but make no mistake IT WILL HAPPEN!

The times they are a changin'

I miss my Close~n~Play

closenplay1.jpg

Karen - Lovely picture

We all live in Igloos in Canada - Eh!

If you are running into problems with virus try AVG and Spybot both are free and do a very good job. I have two download queens, girl teenagers, and both programs do a good job keeping the bugs away

Fred

For the record, Red Skeleton was a fabulous entertainer. He could sing, he could dance, he was a fine artist both in pencil and paints, he was great with his characters, and a good human.

I loved the way he would sign off by saying "Goodnight, and may God Bless."

I loved his show, and I do miss him.

...and a fine Canadian he was!

pt1331.jpg

red.gif

Red Skeleton was Canadian??!! I had no idea!! Say, did you guys get Tommy Hunter down there too? Or Don Messer's Jubilee? I'm guessing not but those were Canadian classics, both music shows.

Btw LSG, my friend had one of those Close 'n Plays! They were cool, until they broke LOL

If you are running into problems with virus try AVG and Spybot both are free and do a very good job. I have two download queens' date=' girl teenagers, and both programs do a good job keeping the bugs away

Fred[/quote']

Fred, thanks for the info. I downloaded AVG and it found 13 threats, 2 of which it couldn't remove/heal. Not sure what that means but the computer seems to be a bit better (faster) now! Thank you!

When I heard that Kennedy had been shot I was sitting in Mr. Blumes physics class getting a "D". Hey Karen, in the last photo of your step-dad and sister, look at the wall. We had the exact same kind of thermostat in our house and it may still be there. It's a "Honeywell". Good stuff.

Interesting. For some reason' date=' I've always pictured people in Canada as living in log cabins and wearing plaid. :- [/quote']

Nope... you're thinkin' of Maine-ers. Canadians wear either red coats with Smoky the Bear hats and talk to horses.

or

dress in black, wear stove pipe hats and have handle bar moustaches and tie defenseless women to tracks.

For the record' date=' Red Skeleton was a fabulous entertainer. He could sing, he could dance, he was a fine artist both in pencil and paints, he was great with his characters, and a good human.

I loved the way he would sign off by saying "Goodnight, and may God Bless."

I loved his show, and I do miss him.

[img']http://www.sctp.us/pt1331.jpg[/img]

red.gif

+1 on "Red". He was one class act. When God made him, he broke the mold... and wished he hadn't.

Too young to remember the JFK assassination. Don't remember much of Martin or Bobby, 'neither, other than my cartoons were preempted by people talking, talking, talking, talk, talk, (make motion of mouths moving with hands). I was too young to understand the gravity of the situation.

When I heard that Kennedy had been shot I was sitting in Mr. Blumes physics class getting a "D". Hey Karen' date=' in the last photo of your step-dad and sister, look at the wall. We had the exact same kind of thermostat in our house and it may still be there. It's a "Honeywell". Good stuff. [/size']

Mine is a Honeywell but it's square. It's the original one in the house, 1976. So's the furnace, which makes me real nervous!

Terry, if I'd passed physics, I would have been a veterinarian today, not a social worker. :-

Interesting. For some reason' date=' I've always pictured people in Canada as living in log cabins and wearing plaid. :- [/quote']

I think the further north you go the more likely you are to see that. And they're sitting around holes in the ice with fishing rods.

...in the next few years' date=' (5 or less) that CD's, and possibly standard DVD's will go the way of 8-tracks, cassettes, and vinyl albums.

[/quote']

Yup, I still got them all and can play every last one of them.... except the 8-tracks. The cartridges self destruct after about 30 years. The rollers turn into a gooey mass. But... but... I have the instructions for overhauling them using 5 self tapping screws and a Dremel sanding wheel mandrel....Then I can transfer to cassette, if I please.

The times they are a changin'

Yes they are and they will again.

Funny thing is, they figure the life expectancy of a DVD is about 10 - 15 years, same for CDs. They are just NOW becoming concerned with the first record masters deteriorating.. they're made of aluminum. They could probably press records from masters made in the 20's with just about as much fidelity and clarity as they day they were made.

Lose your cassette player? Darn! You've lost one tape. Lose your I-Pod????? you've lost them ALL.

I still haven't made the switch to a PDA... Yep, a pocket, seed corn, calender suits me fine. I have yet to have a PDA or lap top purveyor take me up on my challenge to drop my pocket calendar from shoulder height and their electronic device and see whose still works.

Yessirreee Bob, we're just one electron weapon from being reduced to a sniveling, quivering society of 'Now what do I do?, my computer won't light up?...." and then, then... you'll wonder where your pencil is........ [-o< Ooops, sorry, forgot this wasn't the survivalist board..... carry on. :-

Yes they are and they will again.

Funny thing is' date=' they figure the life expectancy of a DVD is about 10 - 15 years, same for CDs. They are just NOW becoming concerned with the first record masters deteriorating.. they're made of aluminum. They could probably press records from masters made in the 20's with just about as much fidelity and clarity as they day they were made.

Lose your cassette player? Darn! You've lost one tape. Lose your I-Pod????? you've lost them ALL.

I still haven't made the switch to a PDA... Yep, a pocket, seed corn, calender suits me fine. I have yet to have a PDA or lap top purveyor take me up on my challenge to drop my pocket calendar from shoulder height and their electronic device and see whose still works.

Yessirreee Bob, we're just one electron weapon from being reduced to a sniveling, quivering society of 'Now what do I do?, my computer won't light up?...." and then, then... you'll wonder where your pencil is........ [-o< Ooops, sorry, forgot this wasn't the survivalist board..... carry on. :-

[/quote']

Speaking of technology, have you guys seen this video? This video is pretty funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGYx35ypus

Unh.... unh.... It keeps stopping (high falsetto whiny voice). My computer won't keep u-u-u-u-p ;)

I've only been able to listen to the first 90 seconds of this guy and I already agree with him. Who is he and why haven't I heard of him yet?

While I'm WAITING#-o for his entire video to down load, I'll relate my brothers brush with technology story.

A newly minted graduate, he finally had his own job and his own place. He thought to himself, "Self? I really don't want to miss any calls (pre cell phones) at home, so I'll get an answering machine (pre voice mail). The first month he had it installed, his long distance phone bill doubled!

He thought to himself, "Self? If I don't know people called, and I don't answer and they can't leave a message..... they can assume I'm not home (pre-caller ID, so screening does not enter vernacular yet... and caller ID as well) so people will them CALL ME ON THEIR DIME." He removed the answering machine and sold it on his next garage sale.

Now I'll see what this Louis CK has to say.

Unh.... unh.... It keeps stopping (high falsetto whiny voice). My computer won't keep u-u-u-u-p ;)

LOL LOL Are you referring to me??? That WAS me complaining a few hours ago (before I downloaded AVG....thank you again Fred)

Guilty as charged!

Btw, that Louis guy can be very crude so I'm just warning you now. I watched a few of his other videos and he just says whatever he wants, which may offend some. The link I posted is harmless tho'

Yeah, I remember when air travel was 'An Event'. An event worth dressing up for, anticipating, talking about for months to impress your friends and relatives.

Now, it's, eh...? A chore to be dreaded, dressed down for, talking about for months to gain the sympathies of your friends and relatives....

2 whole hours, Chicago to San Antonio.... ;)

Try 32 hours on a train... actually, not a bad way to travel. the food is excellent and the ability to walk about the cabin... and foot room that only Daren Stevens remembers.

LOL LOL Are you referring to me??? That WAS me complaining a few hours ago (...

No I was emoting my displeasure of having to wait 2 minutes for the entire vid to down load, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Archived