Gibson Brands Forums

What happened to the Firebird X stock

Rabs

Just now, IanHenry said:

Obscene, I'm sure there are schools that would have loved to have those. 

I would have bought one for £50 or something 🙂  But yeah.. I don't know what that was really about or why, but what a total waste..  Sad, even if its the FBX....

I found that crunching sound really painful to listen too.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

Don't know if these were Gibson's or Chinese rip offs. But if they were in fact Gibson's I'm sure there are a lot of poor kids around the world that would love to have any guitar. Hell, if you can't sell 'em promote music and give them away.

Edited by Navy Vet.

1 minute ago, Navy Vet. said:

Don't know if these where Gibson's or Chinese rip offs. But if they were in fact Gibson's I'm sure there are a lot of poor kids around the world that would love to have any guitar. Hell, if you can't sell 'em promote music and give them away.

Very unlikely anyone would bother to clone what is probably one of the most hated Gibson models EVER!!    They looked real to me. Even if they wernt real.  Still a massive sad waste.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheLeadFlatpick said:

That video turned my stomach. Those were brand new guitars, I mean they could’ve put em on Ebay for $100 bucks plus shipping and they would’ve sold like hotcakes, I dont care how bad they were

2 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I agree totally with these posts.

What a waste.

Inventory is dead weight in a distressed takeover.  "If he couldn't sell it, how am I supposed to?"  It would be interesting to know what it was that deemed these guitars not to be sold, so they could be destroyed in order to clear the sheets for whomever this is important to.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  smells like desperation to me.

rct

And why would you make such a public display of their destruction?  Just think about the positive publicity that donating them to school, charity's and veteran's organisations would produce. This has just produced negative publicity because of the waste of timber, man hours etc. 

Very sad☹️

Edited by IanHenry

That couldn't have been done by Gibson surely. No musical instrument company would be that soulless to its product or its workers. They'd have had the smarts to have given one away with every LP Custom or something even if it was partly in fun, or at least given them to staff.

maybe someone bought them all as a job-lot to indulge their sense of 'humour' on video?  Pretty sad, but I guess if they paid for em...

This video clearly states this was done to guitars made by Gibson, these are not counterfeits.    But still, the Firebird X guitars were really nothing more than failures.   You can't even find replacement batteries, and I Think the software linkage requires windows 98.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

This video clearly states this was done to guitars made by Gibson, these are not counterfeits.    But still, the Firebird X guitars were really nothing more than failures.   You can't even find replacement batteries, and I Think the software linkage requires windows 98.

Out of date electrics? ok, fair enough. Without value? maybe. The carcasses are still good though. 

So stamp em up 'reject', remove the logo if you want. I'm sure they could have been re-purposed by somebody all the same. One local radio bulletin, and I feel sure they would have shifted in an afternoon. 

What a waste. Even if they have no intrinsic 'value' to the company, I refuse to believe they couldn't have been given away for free, if necessary or salvaged for parts/material.

Edited by Filbert

Farmers destroy crops on a routine basis, be due to excess or market prices being so low.

That's even more despicable with people around the world starving.

I imagine this was a factory purchased by some entity and then trying to gain publicity by showing this video. There's no way Gibson would allow a video of this to be made.

It's pretty much FAKE NEWS in my opinion.

H

Businesses destroy product all the time.  Unsold Inventory gets closer to it's expiration date each day it sits.  It's done to write down inventory, take the loss, pad it with some tax stuff, clear the sheets.  Add a semi-hostile takeover by the note holders and you have even more reason to dump inventory.  Selling at the loss they would need in order to move them would be far worse for a company in their condition.  Until someone says otherwise, that would be the only sense making reason, not insurance scam or any other internet conspiracy.  May be a hangover from previous ownership driving them for a variety of reasons.

Just keep it in mind while imagining them all sitting around cooing and ooing over uber sweet necks and bursts and pickups and stuff.  They aren't.  It's widgets.  It's business.  Guitar players are the only ones that care about this stuff.

rct

• Upvote 1

The video was doubtless made to document the destruction of the inventory, should evidence need to be provided to the IRS.

Destruction, as opposed to charitable donation, is not uncommon for "luxury brands." https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/why-luxury-brands-burn-their-own-goods/ar-BBMX3Pk

Selling them for pennies on the dollar devalues the brand and irritates the dealer network who are trying to sell Gibson guitars for big bucks as luxury items, while other authentic Gibson guitars are now being sold for peanuts.

The same is true of charitable donation. Those are examples of Gibson's high end product. The fact that they were basically unsaleable doesn't matter. New Gibsons showing up in hundreds of youth organizations' band camps still "devalues" the luxury product. Had these been lower range Epiphones, perhaps the company would have donated them.

It seems very wrong to us as musicians, but, well, business is business.

And I doubt they're pleased their documented evidence showed up on Youtube.

1 minute ago, Lord Summerisle said:

The video was doubtless made to document the destruction of the inventory, should evidence need to be provided to the IRS.

Destruction, as opposed to charitable donation, is not uncommon for "luxury brands." https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/why-luxury-brands-burn-their-own-goods/ar-BBMX3Pk

Selling them for pennies on the dollar devalues the brand and irritates the dealer network who are trying to sell Gibson guitars for big bucks as luxury items, while other authentic Gibson guitars are now being sold for peanuts.

The same is true of charitable donation. Those are examples of Gibson's high end product. The fact that they were basically unsaleable doesn't matter. New Gibsons showing up in hundreds of youth organizations' band camps still "devalues" the luxury product. Had these been lower range Epiphones, perhaps the company would have donated them.

It seems very wrong to us as musicians, but, well, business is business.

And I doubt they're pleased their documented evidence showed up on Youtube.

Well according to this they were all faulty

9s2EJ5R.png