Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom Pro?

hi13ts

I stumbled on some used for sale and am intrigued by its sonic capabilities and the fact that it’s constructed in the Custom Shop. From photos it looks very much like a Standard off the line. Let me ask for those who’ve tried it. Is the construction comparable to say an R8 or R9 with non weight relieved bodies, one piece back, etc? Is it basically a modern reissue? They seem to be going for a bit less than most of the reissues. If it is indeed constructed very similarly to the reissues, this could be a good alternative for price and features, but still having a custom shop built guitar. What do you think?

They're interesting.  I've never heard of them before.  I can't find them on the Gibson website list of older models.

It looks like they have some elements of a reissue, but not all.  They have a the long neck tenon and they get the historic tall pickup rings.   It's hard to tell but it looks like at least some have the non-historic wider SP2(?) headstock.   The ones that I found seem heavy so probably no weight relief.  They don't mention hide glue.

So basically, it's a Custom Shop LP that's not a historic with some nice features you don't find a USA LP.  Not bad.

There are a few reviews on the Tube.

• Upvote 1

$2800 at GC ... "It's the perfect combination of elegance and performance. This limited edition Custom Pro features a hand-selected figured maple top, nickel hardware, and BurstBucker #2 and #3 humbuckers with coil-taps, and a phase switch on the push/pull volume knob. "

• 1 year later...

I bought one in 2018 from GC.  Was told it was the cheapest thing I could get out of "Gibson Custom"  I paid 3500 plus tax (MSR was 3999.00

Its a great guitar, dark rosewood fretboard, coil splitting, beautiful top and the Burstbucker pickups as well.  Purple edge burst finish.  If you can get your hands on one of these, it's well worth it in my opinion.  When I bought mine, there was also a Green edge burst available on Musicians Friend website.