Gibson Brands Forums

Case recommendations for Les Paul Classic HP

randy72

I just picked up 2017 Les Paul Classic HP Goldtop.  It comes with the aluminum case (which weighs around half a ton).  It has the fast access heel and the GForce tuner system (which I'm surprised to discover that I don't hate).  I want to get a lighter case (but still strong enough to protect it) but it doesn't fit in the cheap aftermarket case that I've been using for my old Custom.  The GForce hits the bottom of the case and the neck isn't supported.  Are there any moderate priced cases that will lift the neck high enough to support it?

Edited by randy72
misspelled word
  • Upvote 1

Musicians Friend & other retailers sell a Gibson Les Paul case for $199. If you get the right guy on the phone, he might let you use a coupon on it. It says Gibson Gear on the photo but in reality it doesn't. Ebay has several used cases, but I didn't see one for less than $189. I'd buy the new one if it were me unless there was much more savings. They are made by TLK if you want to find an unbranded case...….

The ali cases are that heavy?!  Pity, they look great.

BTW If your old case has a flanged neck support (like an old Fender case) you might be able to slide some pipe lagging over it. If everything else still fits, it will elevate and support the neck. Just choose whatever size lifts it clear.

You have a G-Force at least one generation later than mine. They are supposed to be substantially improved. I liked mine and used it happily for 3 years. Check out the videos that show how to re-string. Its fast!

On 8/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, merciful-evans said:

The ali cases are that heavy?!  Pity, they look great.

BTW If your old case has a flanged neck support (like an old Fender case) you might be able to slide some pipe lagging over it. If everything else still fits, it will elevate and support the neck. Just choose whatever size lifts it clear.

You have a G-Force at least one generation later than mine. They are supposed to be substantially improved. I liked mine and used it happily for 3 years. Check out the videos that show how to re-string. Its fast!

The gforce thing is probably a cooler idea than I’ve given it credit for

45 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Same. I have a 2015 Les Paul - was the first 'premium' guitar I ever bought and the gforce tuner is fantastic. Never understood the wailing and gnashing of teeth that the 2015 models got...

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

🙂 The demo guitars with G-Force in shops became abused in 2015. The alternate tunings were tried and the guitars often left that way. I was always asking assistants to 'sort this out' so I could playthe guitars. I was wary of G-Force in and dubious for that reason. But I got my 2015 guitar new (and un-abused) and I determined to try to use the thing properly. 

Personally, I never moved away from concert tuning and I always used 'the one string at a time' method to tune. My G-Force only lost its bearings once (after 3 .5 years). Had I only used the guitar at home, I would have kept using it. But I was gigging it and needed 100% confidence, so put Grovers on this year.  I was a bit sad about it. Perhaps another generation on would have been enough to address my misgivings.  There was nothing wrong with the idea. 

As Rob Chapman said. We all use digital tuners. The only difference is these ones have a motor on them. 

40 years ago, we didnt even have digital tuners. In those days I used to 'imagine an E' and tune to it. I got good at that. A far cry from perfect pitch but useful. I cant do that anymore. I depend on that Snark these days.

I have a 2012 Gibson LP Classic Plus that I bought without a case.  I'm concerned about 3 issues, and was hoping someone knows more about the available Gibson and aftermarket cases that go well with LP's.  Issues: 1) Is there a case that secures the headstock better than most?  2) Is there a case that has plenty of room to leave the strap attached and fit the usual stuff like capo's tuners and such?  3) Is there an affordable case that takes care of issues 1 & 2?  I'm into the guitar for right at $1K, so I'd like to come in significantly better that 20% of the cost of the instrument.  

First Post - Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have a 2018 Les Paul Standard HP-II. Does not have G-Force tuning.  (The best Guitar I've ever owned)  This is the case it came with, very nice, light, appears to be Fiberglass. there is enough room for g-force tuners.
Hope this helps you.

A.JPG

15 hours ago, CCM Guitarist said:

I have a 2012 Gibson LP Classic Plus that I bought without a case.  I'm concerned about 3 issues, and was hoping someone knows more about the available Gibson and aftermarket cases that go well with LP's.  Issues: 1) Is there a case that secures the headstock better than most?  2) Is there a case that has plenty of room to leave the strap attached and fit the usual stuff like capo's tuners and such?  3) Is there an affordable case that takes care of issues 1 & 2?  I'm into the guitar for right at $1K, so I'd like to come in significantly better that 20% of the cost of the instrument.  

A bespoke case (like one supplied with guitar) will always be snug fit. I cant cant fit any guitar with strap attached into one of those. 

You will find aftermarket cases have more room but they need to be tried out. Don't mail order one blindly. Obviously too much room and the guitar will slide about inside and that renders it pretty much unusable. An attached strap can help steady & isolate the guitar. But straps can be of varying bulk.

Headstock: You're right; this is most important. It has to be elevated & supported at the neck. 

On 8/5/2019 at 11:18 AM, CCM Guitarist said:

You can use a capo on a Les Paul?  huh.

rct

On 8/5/2019 at 7:19 PM, Capt. Rick said:
I have a 2018 Les Paul Standard HP-II. Does not have G-Force tuning.  (The best Guitar I've ever owned)  This is the case it came with, very nice, light, appears to be Fiberglass. there is enough room for g-force tuners.
Hope this helps you.

A.JPG

This case is just ridiculously nice.  Also ridiculously hard to find without buying an HP guitar inside it.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, CCM Guitarist said:

Surprisingly, dealing with multiple singers/pitches almost forces the use of a capo on a LP or any other guitar.  I do a lot of clean-channel country, oldies and CCM that often require a key change on the fly.

I'm kidding, I'm known for my lack of acoustic mavenry and constantly losing capos.

Yes, some singers are persnickety, and if I was doing a The Highway(56 on SiriusXM), I'd probably be capoin it at times too.  We tune standard and we change the key if the singer don't like it.

On a more serious note, I don't keep anything in any of my cases but the guitar.  No straps, no stems, no seeds that you don't need, just the guitar.  That stuff'll get lose and scratch the bejesus out of them.

rct

11 minutes ago, rct said:

I'm kidding, I'm known for my lack of acoustic mavenry and constantly losing capos.

rct

I s'pose if I confessed here that I am often seen using 2 capos at the same time, (a partial and a standard) there'd be a run on torches and ropes at the local home depot???

Maybe I just leave this right here..

13 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I s'pose if I confessed here that I am often seen using 2 capos at the same time, (a partial and a standard) there'd be a run on torches and ropes at the local home depot???

Maybe I just leave this right here..

You would, and do, have my utmost respect and admiration.  I don't, can't, do that stuff.  Haven't had to much at all.  If I get to that point I'll just have to try and catch up to more well rounded guitar players like you and millions of others.

And in return, if yer in my band, I'll show you how to correctly play Smoke On The Water and pogo your way through the entire riff after solo without missing a 5th.  And a bunch of other dumb old rock and roll songs that are constantly miss handled by otherwise competent guitar players.

rct

4 hours ago, rct said:

You would, and do, have my utmost respect and admiration.  I don't, can't, do that stuff.  Haven't had to much at all.  If I get to that point I'll just have to try and catch up to more well rounded guitar players like you and millions of others.

And in return, if yer in my band, I'll show you how to correctly play Smoke On The Water and pogo your way through the entire riff after solo without missing a 5th.  And a bunch of other dumb old rock and roll songs that are constantly miss handled by otherwise competent guitar players.

rct

I got a Jackson says you'd give me and most of the people I hang with a run for their money.  we may dinosaurs,  and we may be old, BUT!!  by golly...  we can still PLAY these things.

30 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I got a Jackson says you'd give me and most of the people I hang with a run for their money.  we may dinosaurs,  and we may be old, BUT!!  by golly...  we can still PLAY these things.

It would be fun.  That's all that matters!

rct

I have two extra cases. My LP came with the black case but I always liked the brown ones. I picked up the middle case on local CL with red interior.

Then at a local music store I got the one on the left with the pink interior at a warehouse sale.

lp%20case%202_zpsycqzmr5c.jpg

lp%20case%201_zpsubybjgtl.jpg

Edited by Dave F
Typo
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2019 at 3:24 AM, randy72 said:

I just picked up 2017 Les Paul Classic HP Goldtop.  It comes with the aluminum case (which weighs around half a ton).  It has the fast access heel and the GForce tuner system (which I'm surprised to discover that I don't hate).  I want to get a lighter case (but still strong enough to protect it) but it doesn't fit in the cheap aftermarket case that I've been using for my old Custom.  The GForce hits the bottom of the case and the neck isn't supported.  Are there any moderate priced cases that will lift the neck high enough to support it?

I don't know if Gibson gives you the "Gibson Gear" label case for a replacement like the SGs or not?   I was not pleased with my Gibson "replacement" case I bought to replace the CHEAP gig bag that originally came with my 2016 SG Standard.  I go through eBay now for original Gibson USA issued hard cases.   You might look there if that what you are looking for.   I have also picked up the 2015 hard plastic gold cases there that are light and work very well with GForce equipped LPs, and SGs. 😉

And no surprise on not hating the GForce.  No GForce hate here either.  They work excellent for what they are.   I believe most the hate came from Gibson not offering the choice of eithe the GForce or Standard tuners as the option.   Also think if most folks actually read the GForce manual completely (it's quite large) and really learned to use it, most would have like it.  They won't admit that though. 😄 

2015fambk.jpg

• Upvote 1