Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, an unpopular gem

sparquelito

Holy moly. 

It's been a week now. 
So I'll share with you. 

My Stacey brother brought me this Gibson Firebird Zero, in Pelham Blue. 
It was last Saturday, my 60th birthday. 

We had a band practice going on, so I strapped it on, thanked him most genuinely, and then we rocked out. 
I really, really enjoyed playing this unusually-shaped, oddly-appointed guitar. 

I didn't have time to think about it. 
I just played it. 
I ran it thru its paces, both clean and very distorted. 
I played it for two sets in a row. 

The guitar was a joy to play, and it sounded killer. 
And she stayed in tune. 
It was my birthday present from my brother, and I was very grateful. 

A few days later, I took the time to read all the online reviews of the guitar my brother had gifted me. 
MAN. 
You would have thought that Stacey brought me a smoking turd on a cheap paper plate or something. 

The Gibson Firebird Zero is supposed to be a piece of crap, I guess. 

I must politely disagree. 
This guitar feels right, it sounds right, it rocks, and it stays in tune. 

It's a keeper. 

🙂

193323.png

193325.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think they are ok..  From what I remember of this and a few of the other cheap guitars they offered at the same time, one of the biggest complaints was the bridge was tipping forward on the posts making the action quite high at its lowest setting..

But I do think you are correct in implying that people way over think this stuff.. Just play it.. Specs be dammed.. If you like it you like it and if you don't you don't... Like the BFGs.. People allowed the looks to put them off, but pretty much everyone I know who has actually tried one loved it.

Happy rocking dude  [thumbup]

It just struck me;

This Firebird Zero looks great strapped onto a player, but goofy as hell just sitting upright, hanging from the wall, or sitting on a stand. 

I don't think I have ever known a guitar that could turn me off one minute, and excite me the next. 

Too funny. 

:)

So I guess just at the instant someone took the picture was the only time you had to tune it?

Just kidding.

A new guitar is always a treat, and you found out something that you may never have even tried otherwise.  Happy NGD and enjoy that thing.

I share your enthusiasm. I've had my Firebird for a couple of weeks and I love it - it's definitely in the top 3 of my favourite guitars and I would go as far to say as I love it almost as much as my Les Paul - it's really playable and surprisingly comfortable too plus the mini humbuckers really give it a different voice. Best thing about it; you don't see that many of them - it certainly stands out!

• 2 weeks later...