Gibson Brands Forums

Which are Full respectively Semi hollow?

Madness

Oh man that's a big question because there have been sooo many models that have been introduced and discontinued over the years...

I'm about to get in over my head but what the hell? I'll do it fast and loose

Semi hollow ES models: 135, 137, (anything that starts with a 3, as in 335 - I could be wrong about this, but it's a good rule of thumb)

Full hollow ES models: 175, 295, 125, 150, 350, Trini Lopez, Byrdland, L-anything (as in L-5), everything else

*I promise I left something out, and I hope somebody else chimes in on this, it could get interesting.

Oh man that's a big question because there have been sooo many models that have been introduced and discontinued over the years...

Semi hollow ES models...anything that starts with a 3' date=' as in 335 - I could be wrong about this, but it's a good rule of thumb) [/quote']

ES 330 is the exception to the "3" rule!

Red 333

• 4 weeks later...

The ES-330 is an exception to the 3-rule for thinlines. Listen to Grant Green if you want to hear it played by a master. The 335, 345, 355, 336, BB King, 357 prototype, and discontinued ES-347 are semi-hollow, too. I thought the Trini Lopez model was a semi-hollow, based on the 335, with diamond soundholes.

Aw' date=' c'mon. You're leaving out an important one.

Murph, where are you when we need you?[/quote']

I've got a working vacation, home project going on, but I know the answer.................

THE ES-339 was missing.

But I thought there were some chambered ES models, as well...........................

](*,)

How's that gonna fit?

I'LL BE BACK.........................

Murph.

A simple tip' date=' if it has a stop-tailpiece 99.9% of the time, it's a semi-hollow. If it has a trapeze (not Bigsby) tailpiece, then there's a better than average chance it's a full hollowbody.[/quote']

Well of course, if ya can look at a pic or an actual guitar you can say that... but making a list going by the model numbers, it gets messy.

I think it would be interesting to see if we could do it, if we actually could start a list of the ES models produced over the years and categorize em into Hollow & Semi.

Archived