Gibson Brands Forums

If the phone rang

Navy Vet.

And the person at the other end was from Gibson Custom Shop and they told you that were selected to have your dream Gibson guitar built for free and delivered for free provided it didn't include any animal parts or radioactive material, what would you have built.

I would have them build me a Les Paul with one humbucker,  placed dead center and have it painted a deep purple top bound in a ivory white with an ebony fingerboard bound in ivory white  with the Gibson logo at the 12th fret in mother of pearl. Grover Roto's  for tuners, bone nut.   A push pull Volume knob with coil split. Tone knob  and my name etched on the truss rod cover. Tan Gibson case with deep purple interior.

Yeah! I'd go for one of those too 😉

Well, no I wouldn't spoil the exclusivity of your build. 

I would ask for a v light stain natural finish L5. Normal grained; no flame/no quilt etc. The version with floating mini HB at the neck. A maple neck with a scarf jointed headstock with volute.  Ebony board with side dots only (no inlays). Old curvy Gibson logo on the headstock. 

Tan case with integral shroud and personalised gold name plate next to the handle.  Perfection.

• Upvote 1

I'll take a Non Reverse Firebird (the butt ugly one) in Seafoam Green. the body would be roughly 1/3 thicker than a standard Firebird. cream pickguard.  57 Classic humbuckers. Steinberger tuners. ebony fretboard with binding. 50's neck. Dunlop strap locks. bone nut. 

if they could toss in a radioactive Honey Badger that would be a plus. 

• Upvote 1

Another L4S......or a transparent gold LP Custom.

Which does exist; there's one up for sale in the UK for £(GBP)2850, too bad I can't afford it!

OTOH they have ALWAYS made some of the finest archtop and acoustic guitars in the world......

#-o:-k

Tough call.

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

And the person at the other end was from Gibson Custom Shop and they told you that were selected to have your dream Gibson guitar built for free and delivered for free provided it didn't include any animal parts or radioactive material, what would you have built.

I would have them build me a Les Paul with one humbucker,  placed dead center and have it painted a deep purple top bound in a ivory white with an ebony fingerboard bound in ivory white  with the Gibson logo at the 12th fret in mother of pearl. Grover Roto's  for tuners, bone nut.   A push pull Volume knob with coil split. Tone knob  and my name etched on the truss rod cover. Tan Gibson case with deep purple interior.

Anything like this?  🙂

IFvTeck.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Anything like this?  🙂

4SLy2Pi.jpg

Oh hell yea.  Hey grandpa what's for dinner?  We have a deep purple Les Paul with a single PAF,  with ebony fingerboard  served on a tan case with deep purple interior. Yum!

1 hour ago, Navy Vet. said:

Oh hell yea.  Hey grandpa what's for dinner?  We have a deep purple Les Paul with a single PAF,  with ebony fingerboard  served on a tan case with deep purple interior. Yum!

There was a similar thread not so long ago you might like to check out

• Upvote 2

First, I would love to receive that phone call! 🙂

My dream guitar ain't too fancy and is easily doable.  A Custom SG in mahogany, with three pups, two PAFs, and a T-Top at the neck.  Done in Aged Cherry, an Ebony fretboard with abalone split diamond fret markers, and wrapped in a cream binding ( or maybe abalone 😜).

phcallSG.jpg