Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LPC deep scratches, need advice

scottcooperaus1

Hey guys, so I got a 2010 gibson lp custom ebony body (cheap) and built my dream guitar with SD sh4 and 59s in it, tonepros locking hardware etc, just had it set up and it (deleted) rocks. 
However the previous owner really went to town on the sides of the body with what looks like sandpaper and has dulled, matted and scratched the finish. I have tried using music nomad polish and wax but it had literally no effect. the sides seem to have no gloss and have deep scratching. Can somebody give me advice as I was thinking of wet sanding (what grades?) and then using virtuoso guitar clearner + polish or the eternashine stuff? 

Thanks guys 

20190807_104546.jpg

20190807_104559.jpg

20190807_104626.jpg

Edited by ksdaddy

I bet that's from steel wool. hopefully someone will have some advice on how to address it.

I wouldn't do this without someone who knows what they're doing tell you to but perhaps work it with 0000 steel wool and then a polishing paste and cloth.

If I were gonna try it, I'd probably use some 3m polishing paper, I'd start really fine, like 1 mic, because you don't know just how much clear is left.   Then I'd use some polishing compound.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Sandpaper_and_Finishing_Papers/3M_Flexible_Polishing_Papers.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwLKz6-3w4wIVDcRkCh0cwA-SEAAYBCAAEgK9R_D_BwE

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Buffing_and_Polishing/ColorTone_Polishing_Compounds.html

If you wouldn't mind taking it apart and putting it back together again, having a pro do it may be best.  If you're lucky it would just need a good buffing but even to re-spray some clear nitro wouldn't cost very much, I bet.

Or, you could just leave it.  

Don't use steelwool for God's sake! If you're not well versed in wet-sanding, stay away from it. It's also unclear how many layers of nitro are really left, so sanding away layers might be counterproductive since the scratches could be too deep in.

I would turn the guitar over to a luthier to see what can be done in terms of the sides. I wouldn't do any further DIY experimenting on it (as done by the previous owner), since it would likely devalue the guitar even more. At a certain point it's nonrepairable and would require refinishing which is a tedious, fickle high-dollar job not many can do right.

Micromesh (from StewMac for instance) might be your best option but I would best leave it to a professional well versed with Gibson nitrocellulose lacquer and equipped with, and being able to operate, a good buffing wheel as well.

Edited by Leonard McCoy