Gibson Brands Forums

Pre-NGD

Black Dog

Wowee!

I'd love one -  one of my dream LP Customs...[love]

But am in UK. 

Music Zoo have one at the moment for a high price.

Going to have a fat neck I presume?

Will make a nice pair with your other one.....[thumbup]

• Upvote 1

The Music Zoo had a new one with a skinny neck that I was really tempted by, but I hesitated and it sold.   

The one they have now is a '01 model.  I agree that it's overpriced. 

I am getting it with a R0 neck profile and gloss finish.

4+ months is a long time.  Apparently it's the staple pickup that adds to the time.

Edited by Black Dog

27 minutes ago, Tman said:

Are you going the made to measure route from the custom shop? Wow that is a stunner. Love the R0 neck profile too!

Yep, it's M2M.  I'm pretty excited out it.   I think I regret passing on the Zoo guitar.  It had a thin neck, like an R0.  I don't know if it was M2M or just a fluke about the neck.   But the price they offered me was incredible, less than the used one they have for sale now.   The only reason I hesitated was because it was VOS and I prefer gloss.

37 minutes ago, billroy said:

V nice, what will the staple p'up do for you - I don't know anything about them?

They are supposed to be a little cleaner sounding than a P90.  They are a completely different design though.  here is a little comparison vs humbuckers:

Edited by Black Dog

3 hours ago, Black Dog said:

They are supposed to be a little cleaner sounding than a P90.  They are a completely different design though.  here is a little comparison vs humbuckers:

I like both, but like the staple / p90 better in dirtier situations... and i seem to like dirtier situations best.  Just watching the demo makes me want to plug something in and get into a groove...  Again, sweet looking guit and wish you many happy hours with it!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rabs said:

I don't usually like black guitars much.. But I love that one  [thumbup]

Thanks Rabs.  Believe it or not, I agree with you about black guitars.  Not only that but it took a while for the whole Custom look to grow on me.  I used to think they looked a bit overdone.  Obviously, I've changed my mind.  [smile]

14 hours ago, billroy said:

I like both, but like the staple / p90 better in dirtier situations... and i seem to like dirtier situations best.  Just watching the demo makes me want to plug something in and get into a groove...  Again, sweet looking guit and wish you many happy hours with it!

I think they both sound really good, just different.  Depends on what you're playing and your mood.  [thumbup]

Well I am now confused. I must have been using P90s with the wrong rig, because that sounds super excellent. Better than those HBs most of the time, and where it counts too.

I'm going to have to rethink P90s again. They can sound good on solidbodies. I also had turned away form black guitars. So why does that one work? I'm sure its the gold trim that sells it. The satin finish also makes a big difference. Really good choices there BD. 

• Upvote 1

Johan is a good player with a good ear. If you watch his other videos, he can make any piece of gear sound good 

Personally I like the way they sound but they must be the noisiest pickup ever. They have so much hum I tend to only like them on a very clean amp. The video didn’t change my opinion at all. I liked the p90s clean and thought they were excessively noisy on anything else. Maybe additional shielding could help.

I’m a humbucker guy most of the time but everything has its place. I really like what other people do with p90s but I can’t stand the hum myself