Gibson Brands Forums
TheLeadFlatpick

Finally The Truth Comes Out on Zager Guitars...

Well while rummaging through new listings I came across this Zager at a good price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zager-Guitar-ZAD-80-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-W-Hard-Case/273961858454?hash=item3fc9663596:g:qy8AAOSwaKZdTfbZ

Well, this listing answered my question about how Zager got away with not putting that these guitars were made in Indonesia, not in the US. Well, it turns out, he did! If you remove the shiny Gold stick he sticks on the bottom of the label on the inside, you can see that it does say crafted in Indonesia. There’s been alot of speculation on this topic, this should be the final thread to seal the fact that Zagers are made in Indonesia, no matter how hard Zager tries to hint otherwise.

1 hour ago, TheLeadFlatpick said:

Well while rummaging through new listings I came across this Zager at a good price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zager-Guitar-ZAD-80-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-W-Hard-Case/273961858454?hash=item3fc9663596:g:qy8AAOSwaKZdTfbZ

Well, this listing answered my question about how Zager got away with not putting that these guitars were made in Indonesia, not in the US. Well, it turns out, he did! If you remove the shiny Gold stick he sticks on the bottom of the label on the inside, you can see that it does say crafted in Indonesia. There’s been alot of speculation on this topic, this should be the final thread to seal the fact that Zagers are made in Indonesia, no matter how hard Zager tries to hint otherwise.

Sorry buddy, Zager has been humping his crappy imports as "US Made" for a long time, and everyone has known it.  The final thread on that guy was prolly a decade ago.

rct

21 hours ago, rct said:

Sorry buddy, Zager has been humping his crappy imports as "US Made" for a long time, and everyone has known it.  The final thread on that guy was prolly a decade ago.

rct

with a name like Zager,, it's got to be good...  or is that smuckers????

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:27 PM, rct said:

rct

Actually they are made in France and go under the name of Poo Poo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Bill said:

Actually they are made in France and go under the name of Poo Poo.

I gave you a like for that.

I think I may have had one of their prototypes. [rolleyes]

Inside my Zager Parlor. Says it all. 
Samick version can be found online for about $150. 
That being said, I do like this guitar and it got me back into playing at a time when I needed the distraction. Too bad they don’t follow the orange wood module and just be honest. Wish I was smart enough to have purchased a Gibson. 

F28F0FC0-8706-4CE7-92F0-0B6E54999CD6.jpeg

OK, I see a lot of bad reviews that I am assuming are from experienced guitar players. However, I need some advice. I researched guitars for people with arthritis because my fingers can't bend the way they did when I was 20.  This was the only one that ever came up.

I've played guitar when I was in my 20's, but no bands or concerts. I went to school for a while in Oklahoma where everyone has a guitar.  I'm now almost 75  and, as I mentioned, my fingers just don't wrap around the way they did in my 20's.

I'm looking to spend $200-$250 max. Are Zagar Guitars really not worth it for someone like me?

Congrats on getting back into playing. I can't comment much on Zager guitars having never owned one, although I admit to be skeptical of all the hyperbole about his "E-Z play system," which, based on some online reviews by people who profess to be experienced luthiers, involves filing some of the frets flat, which never strikes me as a good idea.

Respectfully, your choices are limited by your price range. I don't think you can get a Zager acoustic guitar either new or used for the money you are looking to spend. With that budget, my advice would be, if at all possible, find a Mom & Pop guitar store and see what they have in that price range, used. You might find something you like that they would be willing to come down to $250 on.

Failing that, if you have to buy online. Just my two cents...(below):

The cheapest, and yet easiest to play acoustic I have ever owned was a Bristol, a budget version of a Blueridge. I found it to be an excellent guitar for its price point. It has a very slim neck which may suit you. Happily, it is only $4.99 above your maximum price range. Frankly, I think I would buy one of those over a Zager, in your position. I gave mine to a friend's kid who was learning to play, but I do rather miss it. I might pick up another one for a camping trip sometime! It really was very easy to play. Laminated top, but you expect that for $255 (new), and it still sounded very nice.

https://www.elderly.com/products/blueridge-bristol-bd-16-dreadnought?variant=26854246645824&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwxLH3BRApEiwAqX9araYaZQsibSv5vkmPH8bipZG40jT31aKwtUY_FnXPmG5kxx_G4zSz2xoCzpoQAvD_BwE

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Like 1

If you are experiencing problems from arthritis or other issues which limit strength and mobility in your hands but still want to play guitar I would suggest learning a few open tunings and perhaps incorporate a slide style of playing. 

Look for short scale smaller body guitars and use light strings 

Hi Lord Summerisle and jaxson50.  Thanks for your replies.

I forgot to mention my fat fingers, too. But that's neither here nor there.

I can get Zager EZ play as a kit; guitar, strings, electronic tuner, gig bag, and a little more for under $200 at Amazon.  If I can understand what people are saying in this thread, it's apparently made in Indonesia, and modified by Zager. It looks to have a lifetime warranty, but, as you know. Warranties can be good or bad.

It has a truss rod (a plus,)  an adjustable bridge, and some other features. I probably would consider this a beginner to intermediate guitar.  I'm not looking to join a band or go on America's Got Talent.  Just want to learn some songs and play with some friends at parties.

I also see some Fender & Yamaha kits on Amazon for under $200, but I don't know how my fingers would do on those fretboards. 

Anyway, that's where I'm at.  Haven't made any decisions yet.  As soon as Phase 4 or 5 of the pandemic reaches us in NY I'm going with a friend to Guitar Center(?) and check out some guitars.  Don't know of any Mom & Pop guitar stores on Long Island.

Thanks for your replies.  I'd like to see more replies from some of the oother contributors before I even think of buying.

Herb

On 6/18/2020 at 12:55 PM, Hapaki said:

OK, I see a lot of bad reviews that I am assuming are from experienced guitar players. However, I need some advice. I researched guitars for people with arthritis because my fingers can't bend the way they did when I was 20.  This was the only one that ever came up.

I've played guitar when I was in my 20's, but no bands or concerts. I went to school for a while in Oklahoma where everyone has a guitar.  I'm now almost 75  and, as I mentioned, my fingers just don't wrap around the way they did in my 20's.

I'm looking to spend $200-$250 max. Are Zagar Guitars really not worth it for someone like me?

When I left the Railroad at 60, I bought a Fender Acoustic guitar new for $100.00 at Guitar Center. It was great, and I practiced lots of new songs on it.  Even when I sold it back to Guitar Center, years later for a better Acoustic. They gave me, $100.00 for it. I was shocked. That was a no lose situation. Theres plenty of cheaper guitars out there, You just have to look.  

There are two classes of Zagers:  those that are handmade in Nebraska, and those that are licensed to be sold at Walmart's asa beginners kit. The latter are made in Indonesia. Nothing is hidden. Just ask if you have doubts. The first post in this thread prompted a referral to Zager's attorneys.

2 hours ago, BrianCorll said:

There are two classes of Zagers:  those that are handmade in Nebraska, and those that are licensed to be sold at Walmart's asa beginners kit. The latter are made in Indonesia. Nothing is hidden. Just ask if you have doubts. The first post in this thread prompted a referral to Zager's attorneys.

🍷🍷 💊+:-@

5 hours ago, BrianCorll said:

My attorney will handle any issue arising from these posts, especially any issue from Zager and any attorney(s) he'd care to put on it, for anyone in this forum.  My attorney and I will pay for it and recover all costs when it doesn't make it past the first stop.

rct

Just now, ghost_of_fl said:

I heard they are made by elves that live in a tree. 

Those are cookies.