Gibson Brands Forums

3 pickup Les Paul

GLaFave

Never owned a three pickup Les Paul, but understand the standard wiring was fairly limited, only used the middle pickup in combination with one of the others (can't remember if it was with the rhythm or the lead).  Someone on here did a mod and put in a five position switch so you could combine  the middle with either one of the others which to me seems like the only way to go.

My understanding is that I can either series or parallel splice the middle pickup to the neck and live with whatever sound I get or build my own harness and come up with something unique or... I'm have trouble locating a quick connect control board specific to the 3 pickup guitar. The aftermarket makers of the 21 tone JP pc board devices have been helpful but haven't offered to design and build one because this market is 'tiny' (their words).  Would you happen to know what is actually inside the later model quick connect guitars? Kind of the root of my question.

Thanks all for the replies. 

If you're starting with a Gibson LP Custom, there should not be any control board (PCB?),  at least I don't think so.

Twang Gang is correct, the standard Gibson wiring is very limited.  The pickup selector gives you N, M+B, B.  That's with two volume pots and two tone.  The middle pickup volume is controlled simultaneously with the Bridge pickup.  That's it.

You can do the Peter Frampton wiring that requires no new parts.  That has the neck and bridge wired as standard through the pickup selector switch.  It has a 3V and 1T pot configuration.  The middle pickup is wired straight to it's volume pot then out to the tone pot so it's always on and you can blend it in whenever you want.

Freeway makes a 6 position pickup selector switch that looks just like a Switchcraft switch.  There are several ways you can wire it.  This is the best option IMO.

Edit:  This is how my guitar is wired

24hlc4K.jpg

Edited by Black Dog

I have no idea about pcb or quick connect options.  I would imagine they are even more limited, as you say.  I'd rip it all out and start over with hand wiring.  Much easier as long as you can solder.  Even if you can't a decent tech should be able to do it fairly inexpensively.