Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Guitar / Amp combo

uncle fester

On 8/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, Filbert said:

I have a number of electric guitars and a number of amps so in theory, I have a lot of potential combinations to play with but in reality, there are only a few ones that sound 'good' to me, at least to my admittedly, very imperfect, ears. I have a Fender Champion 100 amp, that is great for a solid state amp. Unfortunately, my Gibsons tend to sound like arse through it whereas my two Fenders ( a Strat and a Tele) sound lovely though it - the Strat in particular chimes like a bell. Obviously, Fender designed their amps to sound good with their guitars as opposed to being more generic I guess.

I have a Marshall DSL 30 combo and that sounds fantastic with any guitar plugged in but in particular, my Les Paul and Firebird sound best through it. That's my 'go-to' amp; my workhorse,m if you like.

I also have a small 5 watt Marshall DSL tube combo that I picked up for a laugh, just to see if I could whack up the gain and volume on a small amp and get that lovely tube overdrive but without the neighbour unfriendly volumes. It's a decent little amp but a little too much gain on the 'clean' channel for my liking; the sound breaks up unless you roll back on the guitar volume quite a bit.

Finally, I also have a little Vox solid state amp and that is the most surprising out of the lot. I get a really good sound out of that and it almost sounds like a tube amp if you wind the gain up. Really impressed by it, so much so that I would like to get a 'proper' Vox tube at some point.

TLDR: The Marshall/Firebird or Les Paul combo is great as you would expect but very closely followed by Marshall/Strat which also sounds good. It does help that my Strat is an HSS Shawbucker model as well so has a little extra grunt.

Hi) I have a fender amp 15 junior,  my l.p. sound orrible on that😂😂😂😂 the fender is perfect)  

I've had so many guitars and so many amps that it's hard to pick a favorite.

But I must confess that I have really enjoyed the tones and sweetness I have gotten out of my Gibson SG Naked, played thru the Vox AC15VR and the older Marshall Valvestate VS265. 
(I run my pedalboard stereo-out to both of them when on stage. )

:)

Most any decent guitar through any decent Fender will do me just fine.  I use a  Blues Junior for quite a while now.  I have all Teles and Strats and Esquire.  Downtown I usually have a Deluxe or a Twin to plug my pedalboard into, they never fail.  Haven't since 1971 for me.

rct

• Upvote 1