Gibson Brands Forums

21 years old...

northcntryblues

I got an unavailable message as well.  It was most likely yanked because it is a  boot version of a what is now available as a commercial  recording - in this case the Witmark Demos which is part of the official bootleg series.  Dylan was incredibly widely bootlegged to the point when asked why it took so long for him the release The Basement Tapes he answered because he thought everybody already had it.  But back in the day  if you wanted the alternate  version of Blood on the Tracks which Dylan re-recorded after he had signed off on the LP  or the  full Newport '65 set in which he was backed for the second half  by the Butterfield Blues Band (the best live version of "Maggie's Farm" ever) the only way to score it was on a boot.  Today though there is not a whole lot which has not seen the light of day in a commercial recording. 

I really love the old Dylan stuff from the 1961-1964 period and have dowloaded or purchased everything I could find - my playlist is about 17 hours long. That's actually about all I've listened to for the past year or so. "Roll on John" is one of my favorites and so is "Moonshiner", although I'm not familiar with "Moonshine".  😉

If you find a track that you like online, download it while you can because tomorrow it will probably be gone, this stuff gets taken down frequently. Just about all my favorite YouTube links no longer work. I also get "video unavailable" from the link in the OP here. However, this could be a country-specific thing, because copyright laws are different depending on where you live.

29 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I really love the old Dylan stuff from the 1961-1964 period and have dowloaded or purchased everything I could find - my playlist is about 17 hours long. That's actually about all I've listened to for the past year or so. "Roll on John" is one of my favorites and so is "Moonshiner", although I'm not familiar with "Moonshine".  😉

If you find a track that you like online, download it while you can because tomorrow it will probably be gone, this stuff gets taken down frequently. Just about all my favorite YouTube links no longer work. I also get "video unavailable" from the link in the OP here. However, this could be a country-specific thing, because copyright laws are different depending on where you live.

Well spotted , fixed

Phones are too clever , thinks it knows everything 

Also , just to clarify,  I meant I play dylan doing moonshiner , not me 

Went down the dylan rabbithole about 15 years ago , maybe more , always liked him but was obsessed for a while , bootleg exchanges etc etc 

Read all the bios 

Amazing stuff , hes one of a kind 

Edited by blindboygrunt
  • Like 1

I was a little too late to listen to him real time, but by the time I got to first appreciating him (probably 1985ish...) it was Blonde on Blonde that first got me, especially Leopardskin Pillbox Hat and then Subterranean Homesick Blues...  just checking these look to have come out '65 / '66 timeframe.  ...and Maggies Farm

Just checked out moonshiners, and roll on john - definitely a different side to him.  He's a musician, skills there...  although I believe I saw a clip of him describing himself as a 'song and dance man' 🙂