Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandb0x

Gibson 1967/68 Heritage solid brazilian rosewood?

While I have not spent a ton of time with 1960s Gibsons never having been able to make peace  with the neck carves,  a '67 or '68 should have solid rims and back..  Later models were built with laminate.

• Like 1

That's East Indian Rosewood. Very different grain pattern to Braz, which is more wide grained with more purple-y dark patches and greater contrast between grain colours.

I couldn't tell you if it was definitely solid, I think the Blue Ridge and F25s of that era were lam but the Heritage was quite possibly solid. 

They're a good guitar...at least the ones I've played have been. Not an archetypal Gibson tone, but very nice. Reminded me of a Guild D40. 

• Like 1

Something doesn't jive with this guitar.  It's appearance seems to conform to the first version specs for a '65 to '67 Heritage - except for the bridge, which should be belly-up and adjustable.  A stock belly-down bridge from the late '60s would date it to '68 or '69 - but it too would also have been adjustable, which it is not on this guitar.

Does the label say it's a Heritage?  If so, it could possibly be the early version (with solid Brazilian back & sides), but with a replacement belly-down bridge.  Only problem with that, is that you'd expect to see some obvious remnants of an outline of the original belly-up bridge, which are not clearly identifiable via the photos.

So essentially, there are issues here that warrant further investigation.

• Like 1

If it were laminated I would not expect to see the back strip and bracing. 

BRW is not as  porous as EI. If you have a sample guitar known to be EI do a comparison.  Dramatic difference. 

• Like 1

Trying to guess BRW vs IRW based on the color & grain pattern in photos is risky business.  The one sure-fire method is to assess the pores of the wood, as Dave mentioned.

Solid BRW cannot be ruled out if this is truly a first-version Heritage (with a modified bridge).  Interesting guitar, for sure.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 12:17 PM, bobouz said:

Something doesn't jive with this guitar.  It's appearance seems to conform to the first version specs for a '65 to '67 Heritage - except for the bridge, which should be belly-up and adjustable.  A stock belly-down bridge from the late '60s would date it to '68 or '69 - but it too would also have been adjustable, which it is not on this guitar. 

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking too and why I put the question to this Forum.

I have the guitar not with me, but I will in about one month. I bought it from a friend for 900$ but he is not in town right now and he still has the guitar. I will post another pic of the lable then.

Thanks everyone for their opinion, I will keep you updated!