Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - A Hummingbird at last!

Filbert

I created a thread a few days ago vacillating over a few guitars that I had seen on Reverb. The initial plan was get something vintage, something approximately the same age as me and a J-45; well that soon went out the window! I got some very sound advice and in the end, I pulled the trigger and bought a 2015 Hummingbird and it arrived today.

A set of fresh strings and a once over with Dr Duck's and it is looking and sounding great!

jG0HrmH.jpg?1

YC0zDob.jpg?1

wDPR9VN.jpg?1

A couple of questions though - the serial dates it to 2015 but why does the truss rod cover say 2016? Is that referring to the model year?

Also, it was described in the Reverb listing as being a '2015 Hummingbird washed vintage cherry', however, I can't find any info referring to a colour called washed vintage cherry, only washed cherry. I wonder if the model is actually a 2015 Hummingbird Vintage in washed cherry colour? The Vintage type have a torrefied top right? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Lastly, it came with a set of new strings - lights. I know from previous experience that some guitars respond better to lights than mediums; my Martin 00015m is much better with lights. Is the same true for Gibsons or will it be fine with mediums? Is there a recommended gauge? I usually use Martin Clapton Mediums for my D-28 and D-45 and Martin Retro lights for my 00015m.

Either way, it's a lovely guitar and looking forward to bonding with it.

Congratulations!!!!!!! The birds have a very mystic stand alone sound. The string gauges should be lights 12's thru 53's recommended by Gibson.  I'm pretty sure the torrified tops only came on the true vintage models which are darker in color and have no factory on-board electronics and a carved pickguard. The one you have has the LR Baggs pick up I presume.  I think I've read somewhere on the 2016, the finish color is described as a Vintage Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I have a 2013 bird with factory LR Baggs and is described as Heritage Cherry Sunburst that looks exactly like your photos. I'm sure some others who have one from your year will be walking in soon ! Again, congratulations!

Congrats on the new guitar!  The finish looks like what I know as "honey burst", same finish that was on the Standard I had some years back (might have been a 2014-15).  Don't see any cherry in the photo.  And the white label indicates a Standard model..............other versions (Vintage, True Vintage, etc.) sport an orange label.  You would do yourself a favor by changing those heavy Grover machine heads out for a set of keystones, also from Grover (screw holes match up nicely).  It will lighten the headstock and make the thing feel much better.......but hey, you might be a Rotomatic fan.......what do I know..........   Enjoy the thang!

• Like 1

Congrats on your new HBird! The model year and serial number year codes sometimes don't match up with Gibson acoustics. Some of the guitars built later in the year  have the following year stamped under the serial number. My 2017 Bird has a 2016 serial number (2017 is stamped under the serial number and Made In USA stamp). I believe 2016 was the only year that Gibson engraved the year on the TRC. Enjoy the new Bird, they are special guitars.

Edited by TomPhx

It was built right towards the end of 2015 likely in preparation for their 2016 model year - they're a little loose around that sort of thing. You can always contact Gibson with the serial number and they should be able to get you the specs, model etc... It's a great looking guitar, enjoy it.

You made a good choice 😎

Really loving it so far, it compares and contrasts very favourably to my Martins. With a new set of strings on and a couple of hours play time, it is really starting to respond. Very much enjoying it at the moment.

It's coming with me to the acoustic session at my local pub tonight!

Edited by Filbert