Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone please help me!!!

Jiggysnipes

Hi, a few days ago, a man I know gave me a free guitar. I built his website, and expressed interest of learning how to play, while trying to make small talk. Then he just out of the blue gives me an acoustic. Can anyone tell me if it's real or not. It has no strings, so can someone also recommend me something to put on it so it's at least playable. Thanks!

C16113A2-08BE-4ACC-B864-6CBE44966FC8.jpeg

B214B568-1CD9-422A-835C-81470766E8BC.jpeg

6BF6B4FE-492F-449F-9801-117AF6A86441.jpeg

CEC82FE1-6D28-489F-BA23-BB859C23D6D9.jpeg

F2653B9F-C9AF-4761-BD72-2B9A0DFB9C2A.jpeg

1A351776-B4F7-4C0A-84A5-DAB538B5495F.jpeg

E25E5B08-9868-4F01-BB47-6689476B3101.jpeg

Sure looks real to me! 😉

The epiphone ej-200n (n=natural color top). It's the epiphone version - or maybe inspired by - the gibson sj-200.

It looks like it's been used and played. There's nothing in the pictures to suggest that there's a problem with it - if you're just learning how to play your best bet is to get a set of light acoustic phosphor-bronze strings ("12's") and a tuner (or tuner app on your phone).

If you don't know how to string it up there are a bunch of youtube videos. You could buy strings at any local music store or Amazon. If there's a guitar shop near you they'd probably string it up for you and check it out for a minimal charge, they'd likely have strings for you too.

Good luck with it

• Like 1

It is an Epiphone EJ200 guitar.  It’s value probably is in the $200-$300 range used, maybe $400 new.  It is made overseas, not in Gibson’s Montana plant.  Epiphone is Gibson’s lower priced line now and they are the only Gibson authorized to issue copies of Gibson’s guitar designs.  It is a copy of Gibson’s high end J200 guitar, often referred to as “ The King of the Flattop Guitars.”   For information on dating the year the guitar was made, go to the Epiphone section on this forum under Epiphone Acoustic Guitars.  I believe there is a posting string in that section called Decoding Epiphone Serial numbers.   I know at least one friend who owns an Epiphone EJ200 who brings it to the music jam I run.  His guitar sounds quite good and he likes it a lot, it holds its own in the jamming environment.  If it were a Gibson J200 as opposed to an Epiphone EJ200, made by the Gibson Guitar Company, it’s value would likely be in the range of $2000-$5000.  What’s the difference you might ask.  The quality of woods, Gibson’s are handmade, Epiphone’s are machine made, quality control in a handmade guitar means it has a high level of craftsmanship and workmanship incorporated into it being made, quality control in machine made guitars means all of the guitars are made the same way and achieve a consistency in their machine workmanship.  It’s just a different approach.  One is mass produced one is individually made.  Epiphone’s have a great reputation for playability and great value for their relatively inexpensive price.

Regarding strings, I would recommend any major brand of steel acoustic guitar strings for it, either sets labeled Lights or Mediums.   My personal preference are Martin Authentic Acoustic Guitar strings, 80/20 Bronze Mediums or Lights. (For about $6 a pack.)  But, any major manufacturer makes or has in its line up descent acoustic guitar strings.

Any music store can assist you with getting the guitar strung with strings and tuning if up.  If it needs a set up (meaning the neck’s truss rod or saddle adjusted to improve its playability,  they will advise you if you are interested in playing it or learning to play it.  Plus, they can tell you if they provide lessons if you are just starting.)

i hope this helps.  Welcome to the world of guitars.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Looks like he gave you a decent case too!  As Murph said - a great guitar  - which may turn out to be your passport to a whole new world of enjoyment.  That guitar will be a perfect match for you until you become a cork-sniffer that can tell the difference in sound between  Brazilian Spruce and Madagascar Maple  and play well enough to want to upgrade accordingly!

Number One suggestion I'd have would be for you to Google-up a couple of "How to care for a guitar"  articles.  They will advise you about keeping it in a range of 40% - 60% humidity, avoid drastic temperature changes, etc.  That wood on the top is very thin - not like a piece of plywood you keep in your garage!  #2 would be, as already noted, bring it to a place that has a guitar tech, like Guitar Center (or a more experienced, qualified guitar luthier), to find out if your guitar is playable. You do not want to try learning on an instrument that is slightly out of alignment and which will discourage you, possibly permanently.  You'll get some sore fingers in the first months - but light strings and a correctly set-up guitar will minimize that.  G'Luck ! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nice score especially for free.   While I am far from any kind of expert on Gibson-era  Epis, I believe  the  headstock shape and "Gibson" TRC indicate a guitar built in the 1990s.  There should be sites out here which can help  you decode the seral number if you are interested.

14 hours ago, jchabalk said:

...If there's a guitar shop near you they'd probably string it up for you and check it out for a minimal charge....

I'd suggest just going ahead and having your local guitar shop (or local luthier or repair tech) restring it with lights (12-53s) and give it a setup, which will ensure it is easy to play - an important thing for a beginner!   Might cost 50-60 bucks, but worth it!  Then get started learning guitar!