Gibson Brands Forums

Should I actually play my 2002 Gibson Doves in Flight live in Church?

absmith0

Hello everyone.  I love Gibson guitars and own several.  For me, they just feel better and sound better than other brands to me.  In my opinion of course.  My local music shop owner who is a Gibson Acoustic dealer got in a 2002 Gibson Doves in Flight.  I immediately purchased it from him.  I didn’t know anything about that model.  I had heard of the Dove, but was ignorant to this model.  This one was a custom shop (they all may be I’m not sure). I did do some research on this year and model and discovered the possibility that in 2002 only 7 were made.  It also has the “RF” hidden in the grass  under the big Dove on the pick guard.  Now that I have this guitar, I realize that its sound and playability are just as desirable as its looks.  I am so tempted to play it at Church, but I don’t know if I should take the chance of damaging it by accident or just starting the process of its normal wear and tear.  Or preserve it forever.

Now, please be easy on me with your answers.  My reasoning for asking the question has a few parts.  I will never sell it.  I am a huge Gibson fan and collector.  I have other Gibson acoustics I can play so I am not stuck, I just don’t know how valuable this piece really is.  Would I want to drill out the strap button and put electronics in it?  Should I play it but instead put a condenser mic in front of it? Or should I leave it in its high end case that is just as fancy as the guitar and do my kids and my future grandkids a favor and preserve it.  I do enjoy just looking at it.  Full disclosure, I have strummed a couple songs on it, but wiped it down and control the humidity well.

Again friends and fellow Gibson owners, go easy on me with your replies.  I am simply ignorant to this instrument and its long term value.  I am asking for help not criticism.  Thanks and I look forward to the replies.

75865006-D5AB-4B84-AC16-F7E7DA2C886C.jpeg

I would play it but I can understand those who would say 'no' and appreciate the reasoning behind that answer, especially if this is a really rare instrument.

But I just feel there is nothing sadder than a musical instrument sitting in a case or a glass cupboard because the owner is too scared to play it for fear of wear or damage.

Can you not come to sort of compromise and play it but insure it heavily against damage?

• Upvote 1

Beautiful guitar.  RF is Ren Ferguson, obviously. 

I wouldn't alter it by putting electronics in it, nor take it to church if you have other acoustics that can do the job.

Play it - lots - at home.  Appreciate the looks and the tone which should improve the more use it gets.

I can assure you that if you continue to 'play out',  a perfect opportunity will come up eventually.

• Upvote 1

I can relate to the idea of trying to keep it pristine, but sometimes you just have to make that decision for yourself.. no one can make it for you

that thing is beautiful tho.  At least you have "players" that are ready to go.. 

but yea,, I get it,, hard call there..

Edited by kidblast

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I can relate to the idea of trying to keep it pristine, but sometimes you just have to make that decision for yourself.. no one can make it for you

that thing is beautiful tho.  At least you have "players" that are ready to go.. 

but yea,, I get it,, hard call there..

I appreciate your comments. Your long answer that came to my email was my favorite and the way I personally feel. Every once in a while might be the final answer. I guess I am just wanting someone to tell me what I actually have there. It plays so much better than my SR, Humming Bird, J45, and J35. It just does. It is as smooth as butter and so easy to play. I guess I will never get rich from it because I won’t sell it. Ha ha. 

hahaha!   ya caught me changing my answer!! Ok,, yes!!! I admit it..  I reconsidered my answer after I posted it.. 

it is just that the more I thought about it, I know that  it's just about a one of it's kind, and would  mostly irreplaceable.   I was reluctant to give THAT advice!

but that said,  OMG  it looks like amazing guitar.  How can it NOT be played?

do you suppose you'll mod it to get it so you can amp it?

I "probably" would....  But I'd REALLY have to trust the guy doing THAT work...

It shouldn't matter there are no guarantees. There are guys that play guitars worth 50k and up out there playing in worship bands. It either gets played or it doesn't. Musicians would say to own it and not play it would be a waste. Collectors that hoard guitars would tell you to hide it in a vault. Whatever you do there are no guarantees either way.

Edited by Deneteus

A guitar left in it's case not seen or heard is worthless.  By all means play it and play it at church.  I wouldn't recommend modifying it, just put a mic in front of it for Church if it can't be heard on it's own.  Beautiful guitar, you are lucky to have it, don't let it go to waste.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's beautiful and if it sounds as good as it looks, I'd be playing it as much as I can. Back in ye olden days, people would put a microphone in front of their guitar instead of installing electronics in it so there's that option. You probably won't impress as many people at church with what you have as you do here as we're all drooling a little bit, I'd reckon. They would see it and think it's pretty, of course but for most people a guitar is a guitar. They wouldn't know the difference between a $200.00 guitar and a $10,000.00 guitar.

If it were me, I'd play it everywhere I felt safe. I would not play it a Slimy Joe's Bar over in the bad area of town where drunks and other people of ill repute may damage or steal it. That's my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MichaelT said:

...I'd be playing it as much as I can.......if it were me, I'd play it everywhere I felt safe...

This would be my approach.

It is a generally held truism that acoustic guitars (especially) improve with being played. This aspect would be my very first consideration. If it is doubtful that you will sell it then you have nothing to lose - financially speaking - if it picks up a few minor marks through simply being played. It will continue to look just as good as it does now and you will get an inordinate amount of unalloyed pleasure from playing the instrument in the process. Dragging it along to share this pleasure with other players whom you trust would be the icing on the cake two-fold; firstly they will most assuredly be fully appreciative of your offer and, additionally, you will - quite rightly - feel happy to have been able to give them the chance to play something truly special which they would otherwise never have been in a position to experience.

I fully appreciate the 'Keep it Pristine' concept but I don't hold by it myself. YMMV.

Many congrats on a superb score.

Pip.

Edited by pippy