Gibson Brands Forums
cesarbg

2007 Melody Maker, but double pickups?

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and my first contribution is my recent purchase.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dWSdxdec88RVPTxJ8

I got this 2007 Melody Maker a few days ago. It is a worn white color, and the seller said it was a factory relic, which I do not believe. It really sounds amazing. I love the vintage tone it has.

I have been able to track it as a 1959 RI, though I am not sure, as I have only seen single pickup RI. Any ideas what it may be? 

Plus, it has D'Addario strings which I cannot still recognize by the color code of the string ends (from 1st to 6th string: gold/brass, purple, green, red, silver, black). Any info on that would be appreciated as well (it might be one of the keys to the tone, perhaps?)

Thanks!

Captura de pantalla 2019-08-14 a la(s) 22.44.50.png

mm2.jpg

Beyond what you've said I'm not sure what else you need to know. Though I have no idea about the R1 notion.

There are indeed a bunch of pics, videos, reviews etc on this guitar all over online. I assume you've checked these out?

Here's a sunburst that sold recently.

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-melody-maker-59-reissue-2007-sunburst

As merciul-evans states, it sounds like you already have a handle on what you have. As far as the strings, I don't think that makes that much of a difference to put any energy into finding out what kind they are IMHO.

Edited by Big Bill

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Beyond what you've said I'm not sure what else you need to know. Though I have no idea about the R1 notion.

There are indeed a bunch of pics, videos, reviews etc on this guitar all over online. I assume you've checked these out?

It's just that I wasn't sure it was really a 59' RI.  And there are many vids and pics online, but I can only find the single pickup version. Only the one mentioned by Big Bill is a double pickup. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Here's a sunburst that sold recently.

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-melody-maker-59-reissue-2007-sunburst

As merciul-evans states, it sounds like you already have a handle on what you have. As far as the strings, I don't think that makes that much of a difference to put any energy into finding out what kind they are IMHO.

Thanks for the info. About the strings, I thought maybe the string gauge and model could be a reason for it to sound so good, but anyways. Thanks.

Nice guitar! Welcome to the forum! I use D'Addario strings and here in the U.S., the color code is: 6th=gold, 5th=red, 4th=black, 3rd=green, 2nd=purple, and 1st=silver. In your pic, the strings look like they're the right thicknesses but, not the right colors. Do you live outside the U.S.? Perhaps the coding is different in other places, I don't know. At any rate, the string package will have a list of the color code on it if they are authentic D'Addario strings. I haven't a clue about your guitar, though! I hope this is of use to you. Peace!

Edited by G Mac

On 8/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, G Mac said:

Nice guitar! Welcome to the forum! I use D'Addario strings and here in the U.S., the color code is: 6th=gold, 5th=red, 4th=black, 3rd=green, 2nd=purple, and 1st=silver. In your pic, the strings look like they're the right thicknesses but, not the right colors. Do you live outside the U.S.? Perhaps the coding is different in other places, I don't know. At any rate, the string package will have a list of the color code on it if they are authentic D'Addario strings. I haven't a clue about your guitar, though! I hope this is of use to you. Peace!

Thanks! Well, I live in Mexico, but all string are, as far as I know, made and imported from the US, so it shouldn't be any different from the ones I've bought there. Thats why I don't see the color code to match.