Gibson Brands Forums

Flaws in the finish?

sunking101

I think your fretting (no pun intended) over the wood grain. To me, that's what makes wood like this amazing, how nature spins these cool shapes and patterns. The 50s Standard comes with a AA maple top which is not as fancy as the reissues and such.  I just purchased the same guitar and I love it and I'm sure you will too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I think your fretting (no pun intended) over the wood grain. To me, that's what makes wood like this amazing, how nature spins these cool shapes and patterns. The 50s Standard comes with a AA maple top which is not as fancy as the reissues and such.  I just purchased the same guitar and I love it and I'm sure you will too. 

I'm cool with grain and natural imperfections in the wood. I just wanted to check that they weren't paint or nitro imperfections. The lower part around the tone pots particularly bothered me because one of the lines looks like scoring through the paint/lacquer or cracking. 

53 minutes ago, sunking101 said:

I'm cool with grain and natural imperfections in the wood. I just wanted to check that they weren't paint or nitro imperfections. The lower part around the tone pots particularly bothered me because one of the lines looks like scoring through the paint/lacquer or cracking. 

I can see how you would be concerned, I guess it could appear as a mar to some folks. Like the rest of the responses, all I see is a nice looking guitar with some nice wood grain. I wouldn't call it a natural imperfection either, that just how the tree grows. Check out mine below, you can see the same type of grain patterns. 

65756287_10215287331038523_4762611882173

66524221_10215326831666014_4462616667179

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sunking101 said:

I'm leaving the guitar out most of the time to lose that sickly nitro smell which fills my entire flat.

Man, when I got my Gold Top, it was literally straight from Gibson and it was so gassy I could only play it for about 30 minutes at a time.

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

Man, when I got my Gold Top, it was literally straight from Gibson and it was so gassy I could only play it for about 30 minutes at a time.

Snap. Mine has a May build and I bought it in  June! Stinks the place out and I'm pretty sure the hard case will never lose the smell.