Gibson Brands Forums
Karloff

NAD - Hot Rod Deluxe

well just got a new one.  Hot Rod Deluxe with the blonde tolex & Cannabis Rex Eminence spkr.  40 watts.  really like it. nice & light too. some guy bought it then traded it in 2 weeks later for a smaller amp saying it was too heavy. he should try lugging around my Traynor or Ray Pelkey's Gibson combo. those things feel like they're bolted to the floor. 

HOTROD-DELUXE.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Bill said:

I prefer brunettes, but that is a nice amp. Congrats!!

so do I actually.  voluptuous brunettes are the Devil's crack pipe ...

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

Very nice.  How's it sound?

BBP,  I really like it beautiful cleans. I dial back on the gain for the dirt and kick in the amps boost for a really nice kick.  I knew the clean would be sweet but I was waiting to hear it really cranked to access the distortion. lotsa meat ... 

everybody, I had messaged BBP prior to the purchase to get his opinion on the Hot Rod Deluxes.   definately a thumbs up ...

33 minutes ago, billroy said:

Nice - what type of situation are you going to be using it for?

I'll be gigging with it, we play what we call southern blues rock. allman brothers, govt mule, blackberry smoke. stuff like that.  i'm really liking it. 

Very nice.  Congrats.  I have a HRD FSR in Wine Red tolex and wheat colored grill I bought circa 2005.  I really like it, but have considered swapping out the stock speaker (Celestion G12P80).  I’ve considered the Eminence Texas Heat or Swamp Thing, but I may have to add the Cannabis Rex to the list.  I play much the same music that you do so it may also be a good fit.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Very nice.  Congrats.  I have a HRD FSR in Wine Red tolex and wheat colored grill I bought circa 2005.  I really like it, but have considered swapping out the stock speaker (Celestion G12P80).  I’ve considered the Eminence Texas Heat or Swamp Thing, but I may have to add the Cannabis Rex to the list.  I play much the same music that you do so it may also be a good fit.

for a long time I've stuck with Celestion Vintage 30's.  I'm real happy with this Eminence C Rex.   

Nice SCORE Doug!!!  I like the lighter color too. Those take pedals nicely w/a great clean sound..  for sure easy on the back.   much appreciated for dinosaurs like me!!!  LOL!   that  Goldtone  has it's own center of gravity...  sounds awesome, just don't move it... 🙂

• Upvote 1

Very nice - I need to have a good go through one of these sometime.

• Upvote 1

Good choice.  I gigged a Hot Rod Deluxe for several years.  I got tired of transporting a Twin Reverb for practice so got the lighter Hot Rod mainly for that.  It sounded so good I just used it all the time for practice and gigs and the Twin started gathering dust.  You will enjoy it for a long time 👍

13 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Good choice.  I gigged a Hot Rod Deluxe for several years.  I got tired of transporting a Twin Reverb for practice so got the lighter Hot Rod mainly for that.  It sounded so good I just used it all the time for practice and gigs and the Twin started gathering dust.  You will enjoy it for a long time 👍

I had my 1st gig with it over the weekend. beautiful cleans, and I really like the gain channels.  I'm real happy with it. plus the weight isn't back breaking.