Gibson Brands Forums

New Purchases or your favorite

Holiday Hoser

On 8/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, Leonard McCoy said:

My newest acquisition is an all-in-one, no-fuzz tape recorder from Sony.

Sony+PCM-D100-1+Above+View+On.jpg?format

Nice! I have the older PCM-D50. I can't even recall how long I've owned my Sony but it's a fun little device. Have you posted any of your recordings made with the PCM-D100 yet?

This is my latest purchase...I've been round the houses somewhat seeking out the right amp, initially I bought a Mesa Rosette 300 1:10 which sounded great but couldn't handle my vocals at any meaningful volume, returned that for an AER Domino which sounded good but had a faulty channel, so that went back and now I have the Compact XL.

200W, more headroom than the Domino and sounds warmer too. It has a tweeter rather than dual cones so has a more defined and less sibilant top end and has more bass warmth than the Domino. 

First gig with it was last night, and I'm very impressed. Five more to go this weekend, so will know it inside out by Monday!

Screenshot_20190823-014544__01.jpg

Here's my latest purchase together with my favorite (acoustic):

A new mexican made 60s neck with pau ferro fretboard for my Tele Partcaster (it all started with a 80ies Fender Tele made in japan; only the controlplate and the poti knobs from that guitar are still there) and my Hummingbird TV.

HipstamaticPhoto-588242788.640305_zpscxb

I actually had a NGD last year, but since its an electric and I never made real photos I never posted this: 

Gibson 1963 ES-335 made in 2018

IMG_3820_zps9psce7xt.jpg

Edited by littlejohnny

On 8/18/2019 at 5:19 AM, zombywoof said:

My most recent acquisition was the 1932 L1.   

L1020140.jpg

Now that is a guitar with serious mojo. I'm looking at a recent vintage L00 for my next purchase. Have considered buying something a lot older though, but haven't found one that fills in all the right checkmarks yet.

The latest purchase is mostly my favorite  :rolleyes: - until the next purchase follows.

Gibson SJ-100 1941 reissue, serial number says it was built in 2013, new guitar from the showroom of Just Music Berlin. I am still waiting for the guitar, it is somewhere on the road. Pictures will follow as soon as I can manage to clear my storage space here in the forum.

My intention was to buy the J45 Big Leaf Maple which was hanging next to the SJ100 - a very fine Instrument, too, but the SJ-100 was more interesting at the end. The sales person and the luthier in the store who did a last check and neck setup in my presence both mentioned that it was one of the best guitars in the showroom and liked to play it.

And now I have to wait ...

Here's my Farida OT-22, acquired this summer. I am REALLY loving it. Great tone and clarity. Only mods (aside from a lefty pickguard) are replacing the plastic bridge pins with ebony pins, and having it set up for medium strings instead of lights. So far, it has adjusted well to Cyprus. If things turn south, I discovered a guitar-repair shop about three blocks away. I dropped by today and they seem to know what they are doing.

Farida OT-22

And then there's my '16 J-35. It is also adjusting well to Cyprus. While in the U.S. this summer, I had the Tusq nut replaced with an ebony one, and I had the pickup taken out. The guitar is lighter and I notice an improvement, and it sounded darn good to begin with.

Gibson J-35

Edited by dhanners623

I forgot about this one in my closet! In the early '90s I was doing some work painting guitars for Birnie Rico in the LA area and told him I was looking for an acoustic/electric. He said let's see what we can come up with. The result is an awesome Frankenstein of Flaminco, acoustic and electric parts I always loved Ovation headstocks ( I think the electronics are Takamine if I remember) All painting and finish was dome by me including the graphics. Unfortunately the neck got a serious twist on a trip to Hawaii in the frozen cargo hold but she is still a beauty to behold.

W4bTvLj.jpg
k2jdraZ.jpg
A9MWMPi.jpg