Gibson Brands Forums

altitude, humidity, and truss rod adjustment

sshep

I travel back and forth every couple of weeks from sea level to 6500 ft in the mountains (Lake Tahoe). The humidity at the lake is about 23% and at sea level about 45%. I notice a difference in the action on my les paul dark fire and les paul standard when I go up to the lake ( higher action) but I don't want to adjust anything because when I get back after a few days it's back to normal. However, my Paul Reed Smith custom 10 top with bird inlays never changes. I have a les paul classic which weighs in nearly as heavy as a les paul custom also has little change in the action. (or at least I cannot notice anything) Is this going back and forth damaging my guitars? I notice a slight turn clockwise on the truss rod at Lake Tahoe puts the action back the way I like it on the standard or dark fire but when I get back after a few days the neck hasn't enough relief. I have set it up for sea level at 45% and I just live with the higher action when I go up to the lake. Is this normal? What should I do. Thanks!

I travel constantly. I've been between Tahoe and the ocean on the CA side too. I've also been on the NV side over by Reno. Up and down From Spokane, Wa, Pendleton, OR, over between Boise, ID, Twin Falls, to Phoenix, AZ on that side of the mountains. Outside temperatures all over the map; from a snowstorm last Tue night in the mountains to 60 degree days in central CA to even 80 degree days a couple weeks ago in LA. I don't know what to do at all.

I did get a Traveler guitar to use, not caring if it gets destroyed. But, I want to take my other guitars with me from time to time. When I know I will be able to keep a constant temp and humidity condition during a stint, I will go ahead and take one of the others. I often wondered what working musicians do when they travel all over the place. (From time to time I see some of them on the road in their buses).

This is a puzzling thing. I'm with you... What does a person do?

Hi sshep and boardusmcer,

You guys really get around.

Ok; "what should I do...What does a person do?"

If they're a gigging/travelling pro, they have techs to adjust, tune, restring, etc. If you don't, get out that truss rod wrench and adjust the truss rod according to your guitar's needs. Don't worry about potential disaster; there is none. Pretty soon, you'll know how much adjustment you'll need and you can even apply it beforehand. And just think, you'll never have to worry about your truss rod and its nut rusting together (and that *is* a problem, if it happens)!

See, you're actually doing your instruments, and yourselves, a favor!

When I adjust the truss rod at Lake Tahoe I only need about 1/16 th of a turn. It is very small but it does the trick and the guitars just play beautifully. (I actually play them they don't play themselves but sometimes with near perfectly set up guitars - I wonder if sometimes they don't actually help you out a bit) It is amazing but I can really notice the difference. I know that many of you have wonderful guitars that you have spent years finding and setting up. These guitars become special. I don't want to keep adjusting the truss rod all the time because I have a feeling that doing this too much could eventually ruin the instrument. However, if you guys think that this is not a problem maybe I will adjust it more often. I also feel guilty about doing this because the action even when not at its best is still excellent.

I travel with my guitars all the time - I only adjust the truss rod in response to a change in string action.

i.e. I don't automatically adjust the truss rod at one setting when I'm in the mountains, and then re-adjust it again when I'm at sea level.

The best advice is play the guitar frequently - read the Dan Erlewine book I linked above

How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!: The Electric Guitar Owner's Manual by Dan Erlewine

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879306017/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

and learn how to observe the neck and determine if it is bowed. and only adjust the truss rod in reaction to an observed change in desired string action.

Archived