Gibson Brands Forums

New 2019 SG Standard: swap out 490T for 498T?

Mike CT

Just bought a 2019 SG Standard that will ship to me this week.  I was thinking about swapping out the 490T pickup (stock is a 490R/490T)  for a 498T so that i’d have a 490R/498T setup?

I almost pulled the trigger on a used SG GT and it had that setup, and it seems like older SG Standards used that combination as well.  Is there a benefit to the 490/490 combination that caused the switch that I don’t know about.

if it helps I like to play everything from modern country (Jason aldean, Eric Church, etc.) to Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Motley, etc.   I also play through a DSL 40CR.  My other electric is a 2017 Les Paul Standard with the BB Pro pickups.

Thanks!

Mike

I may try the stock for a while but in comparing the 490 and 498 T’s it seems like the 498 is an alinco 5 with 9 output where the 490 is  about an 8.3 output Alinco 2.  So basically higher out put.

my Les Paul has the BB Pros which are around 7.4 and 8.4 I think as well.  This  is~1 point difference between the neck and bridge where the 490r/498T has about 1.6 difference.   Is that just a hige volume difference?   On my LP I don’t think I every use anything other than the bridge pickup.  Also am I just looking at differences that don’t matter at all since I have a dsl 40 and control The outputs there anyway?

Mike

I’ve seen more positive comments on the 490/498 when it comes to a hard rock/metal focus, than I have seen negative comments about muddies or lack of clarity.  

Those negative comments that have seen were what has been holding me back because  always throw some modern country (basically light rock) into the mix and I wasn’t sure of the 498T would be a negative when it comes to that stuff.    But I have a 2017 LP Standard with BB Pro pickups and that does that stuff super-well.

Mike

• Upvote 1