Gibson Brands Forums

Coronet "Make Your Own" Reissue

MajorMattMason

I'm interested in finding out as much as I can about this guitar and I'm hoping some of you will be familiar with it. I found an Epiphone serial number decoder online that indicated it was made by Samick in 2009 in Indonesia  - which is consistent with the "Made In Indonesia" sticker on the back of the batwing headstock. I love it so much that I just bought another one and I'd like know more about it.

As in ... is it a mahogany body & neck, or something else?

what kind of pickup is in it and who made it?

who made the tuners and should I replace them?

has anyone upgraded the wraparound bridge with a replacement that made a dramatic improvement?

I'd really appreciate any info you can contribute. Thanks!

kdcur6wqtfiwb2aucsff.jpg

p2hacz7xryorrkt9vkbo.jpg

ulzycv0kygavly5umowv.jpg

Epiphone Serial Number Decoder.jpg

These coronets were used mainly for promotional purposes from around 2009-2011. Giveaways, raffles, company promo, etc. I've never heard of the "make your own" version of these. They were most likely left overs that didn't get used for any promos, if I had to take a guess. The full body pickguard is consistent with the promo coronet. 

The neck is most likely some type of Asian mahogany substitute.  The body could be anything from Asian mahogany, to alder to basswood. 

The pickup is aftermarket. You'd have to pull it out to see what it is. These probably came with a basic Epiphone ceramic pickup or an alnico classic. Again, not sure as there aren't really any specs for these because they weren't for sale to the general public.

The stamped tuners are typically subpar, but if they hold tune then they should be fine. Any die cast tuners would probably be a vast improvement, however.

As far as the bridge, it's a matter of preference. I've not heard many complaints about Epiphone's wrap around bridges. They are a basic, yet tried and true design. Unless the slots  are worn down or off center, it should be just fine.

• Like 1

Thank you RobinTheHood! Thank you for being so generous with the info. Epiphone did have a "make your own" contest, no doubt harvested from the excess promotional guitar inventory.

I've included a few pics below as a reference.

After my post, I found out that you were correct - it is a replacement pickup. In fact, it is an early RailHammer Tel-90 (P-90 style, now discontinued and replaced by newer models). It also sounds fan-freakin-tastic! I have mostly humbucker-equipped guitars and didn't realize how much I missed that bright "F-brand" treble! The Tel-90 is also quiet as a mouse - which is not the typical "F-brand" experience. 

I would love to get my hands on the "full body" pick guard template, so I could make more! I'm crazy about this guitar, btw. Love the size, balance, sound, playability, and fun factor!

RTH, do you happen to know who made those stamped tuners? They do seem to work OK but I also appreciate a replacement/upgrade recommendation if you know of one that's a fairly easy retrofit. 

20935_10.jpg

artcontest.jpg

epiphone_comp.jpg

Tel-90 Press Release copy.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, MajorMattMason said:

Thank you RobinTheHood! Thank you for being so generous with the info. Epiphone did have a "make your own" contest, no doubt harvested from the excess promotional guitar inventory.

I've included a few pics below as a reference.

After my post, I found out that you were correct - it is a replacement pickup. In fact, it is an early RailHammer Tel-90 (P-90 style, now discontinued and replaced by newer models). It also sounds fan-freakin-tastic! I have mostly humbucker-equipped guitars and didn't realize how much I missed that bright "F-brand" treble! The Tel-90 is also quiet as a mouse - which is not the typical "F-brand" experience. 

I would love to get my hands on the "full body" pick guard template, so I could make more! I'm crazy about this guitar, btw. Love the size, balance, sound, playability, and fun factor!

RTH, do you happen to know who made those stamped tuners? They do seem to work OK but I also appreciate a replacement/upgrade recommendation if you know of one that's a fairly easy retrofit. 

20935_10.jpg

artcontest.jpg

epiphone_comp.jpg

Tel-90 Press Release copy.jpg

There ya go ...better late than never eh?

Pulled it off the internet archive waybackmachine.  Thinking about buying one of these. If I do I'll join the forum.

Later... maybe

EpiCoronetTemplate.tif