Gibson Brands Forums

1996 Gibson es 335 sunrise orange

Brian50

I just bought a 96 es 335 in sunrise orange. I was told that this guitar is part of a limited run for guitar center. The serial number is 9214642. I also heard these guitars came with a coa. Does anyone know the production numbers or have any information on these guitars? Thanks 

B96D347B-37E1-4200-978A-84C7D7D34A7D.jpegE96E8CD4-3A0D-4D65-A43D-6EB5B6AEEE97.jpeg

• Like 1

Unless the production number was up front when new, you won't get the number made by Gibson now.  Being a GC model, it is not likely to have that number when released.  BL is you probably won't be able to get the production numbers.  Also being a GC model, you'll have a real hard time finding specs for it too.  If you're lucky, the model number may be on the tag inside and may give you something more to search with.  Just curious, how do you know the color is "sunrise orange"?

Nice looking 335!

Hi, thanks for the feed back. The guitar was sold new thru GC and they still had the item description in their system (not surprising as they obviously have never been updated). Also, I found a COA on line that lists the details on the guitars (this guitar was made 3 weeks after the one I purchased).  Lastly, it has the limited edition sticker on the back on the neck. All of these guitars had that in 1996. There have been two listed on Reverb as well.  When I receive it I will dig into it and see what I can find. Thanks 

tzr9edugqxpogz3kchx3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, Brian50 said:

Hi, thanks for the feed back. The guitar was sold new thru GC and they still had the item description in their system (not surprising as they obviously have never been updated). Also, I found a COA on line that lists the details on the guitars (this guitar was made 3 weeks after the one I purchased).  Lastly, it has the limited edition sticker on the back on the neck. All of these guitars had that in 1996. There have been two listed on Reverb as well.  When I receive it I will dig into it and see what I can find. Thanks 

tzr9edugqxpogz3kchx3.jpg

Sorry Brian, how do you get the COA online?, is there any place where to download?

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Brian50 said:

Finally had the chance to look at the guitar. It’s such an awesome color. Says OR in the pickup cavity. Great flame too! Mint condition to say the least..

816FF48C-329F-4D15-8BEE-04BB61F9372E.jpeg

Nice 335, but it looks like a plain top to me. I see no flame.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

As you're looking at the pic, the clearly visible horizontal "lines" are the flame.  Though more on the subtle side, it is clearly visible.  I'm guessing you're looking on a cell phone at a tiny pic.

5 hours ago, Wmachine said:

As you're looking at the pic, the clearly visible horizontal "lines" are the flame.  Though more on the subtle side, it is clearly visible.  I'm guessing you're looking on a cell phone at a tiny pic.

Here is my LP Trad Pro II, I used to have. This is what I think of when people say flame on a guitar.

http://I8zbgED.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your reply quoted the post (with photos) from September 19th.  It's harder to see the figuring in the top grain in those photos.  It's pretty clear in the first photo (in the opening post) from August 20th.  I guess we can all debate about different terms like "flame" and "curl", etc etc.  Not every guitar with flamed grain has the same amount.  Some have more consistent and intense looking "flames".  Some guitars have been described as having "subtle flame", where it's less obvious.  Obviously there's a spectrum.  This guitar doesn't have intense flame, but definitely has a considerable amount of figuring that's quite obvious to the eye in the first photo, and I think a lot of people would call it flamed.  No way I would ever call this a plain top.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I lived in the Bay Area for 25+ years. Miss it but I was back to SJ last year and it made me sick to see the area I grew up in tuning into LA.

Yeah, I can see how it could be shocking and/or depressing.  There were still a lot of orchards and mustard fields in SJ when I was growing up in the late 1950's and into the '60's.  Time gradually changes things (a lot of things!). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimR56 said:

Your reply quoted the post (with photos) from September 19th.  It's harder to see the figuring in the top grain in those photos.  It's pretty clear in the first photo (in the opening post) from August 20th.  I guess we can all debate about different terms like "flame" and "curl", etc etc.  Not every guitar with flamed grain has the same amount.  Some have more consistent and intense looking "flames".  Some guitars have been described as having "subtle flame", where it's less obvious.  Obviously there's a spectrum.  This guitar doesn't have intense flame, but definitely has a considerable amount of figuring that's quite obvious to the eye in the first photo, and I think a lot of people would call it flamed.  No way I would ever call this a plain top.

Absolutely a matter of degree.   Those are trees we are talking about.  More like snow flakes in that none are exactly the same.  Thankfully!  How boring otherwise.  "Flame" is just a more slang term for figuring in the wood.  But definitely  different than wood grain.  Personally, I think flames are a bit over-hyped.  I think some of the wood grain in plain tops look better than most flames.  But that's all subjective.  Gibson, of course, has a dog in that race because they charge a lot more for flames.

Talking about subtle flames, my Lucille is red.  The finish is what I'd call "mostly transparent" and shows through some very subtle figuring.  The effect is absolutely beautiful.  Reminds me of glowing embers.  Subtle enough it looks "plain" red at a glance and is hard to get good pics of it.  But holding it, it just radiates like a jewel.  This studio shot give some indication of it.  But you really have to see it in person to get the full effect.  Just trying to say that the figuring doe not need to be the-in-your-face type.

geXrdUVpkT92hBgpeS3vyZhuD-sovF9PTiT6QVZN

On 8/20/2019 at 9:04 AM, Brian50 said:

I just bought a 96 es 335 in sunrise orange. I was told that this guitar is part of a limited run for guitar center. The serial number is 9214642. I also heard these guitars came with a coa. Does anyone know the production numbers or have any information on these guitars? Thanks 

B96D347B-37E1-4200-978A-84C7D7D34A7D.jpegE96E8CD4-3A0D-4D65-A43D-6EB5B6AEEE97.jpeg

Beauty.