Gibson Brands Forums

Doug Wyatt Guitars

Navy Vet.

I’m in Gatlinburg with my 17 year old son to do some trout fishing. Located  in the center of town stuck away on the forth floor of the Mountain Mall I discovered a guitar store. Not just any guitar store but a guitar store owned by a luthier named Doug Wyatt. He has a few interesting guitars in his store too. A 1968 white Flying V with two pin strips on the outside of the head and  on the outside of the body. A 2006 Hummingbird one of 20  made with flame maple back and sides. And he has his guitars he makes. A genuine nice person and very knowledgeable. He also has really famous and talented guitarist who visit his shop too. I’m not one of them but some cat named Joe wearing a Nerdville tee shirt paid a visit a few moths ago.  I’ve been by a few times and it has been the highlight of the trip seeing the trout aren’t biting.

I have been there a couple times & spoken to him personally. He really is a nice guy & makes quality guitars.

Thought it was interesting when he told me about the headstock of a guitar you  make has to be unique for your brand guitar as the headstock shape is "copyrighted" so to speak that identifies a particular brand so it has to be different from all others.

I really enjoyed talking with him & hope his guitar building business is successful.

Edited by Brytam
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Brytam said:

I have been there a couple times & spoken to him personally. He really is a nice guy & makes quality guitars.

Thought it was interesting when he told me about the headstock of a guitar you  make has to be unique for your brand guitar as the headstock shape is "copyrighted" so to speak that identifies a particular brand so it has to be different from all others.

I really enjoyed talking with him & hope his guitar building business is successful.

Doug pulled this from the back last night, something I have never seen before. A Gibson 3 neck steel guitar owned by Dolly Parton.

9E223BBB-013E-4BBB-8FCD-16419FC50151.jpeg

• Like 1