Gibson Brands Forums

Discontinued lines

Casso

So, I have an ES137 which I bought in 2012, I believe it was, and a LP Supreme from 2013. Both of these guitars are in storage in Canada while I live / work down here in Houston. On a trip home recently I brought the Supreme back with me and then, out of interest, looked on the the site to see what they cost nowadays. I was surprised to discover that they are no longer made. Did a little research and discovered they stopped making them in - I think - 2017. And so then I looked for my 137 and found that they are discontinued as well. My question is: Does Gibson discontinue models due to the simple reason that they were not selling well enough, or is there some other reason such as wanting to have a finite number of these models? My dream is to one day own a 175 but I see that they are not made anymore either. And I would have thought that the 175 would have been a very popular model! Sorry for the long windedness of my post!

reverb is not new, been around for some time now

while were on the subject,  I have an ES-135 which ended around the year 2000.  It's a great guitar...  it was preceded by the ES-137.  Those looked nice too.  The 137 had a stop bar and ABR bridge, where the 135 had a trapeze tail piece.  I installed a Bigsby B7 on my 135 and it literally came to life...  the trapeze tail piece was a huge tone sucker. 

Gibson through the years has often stopped making a particular model only to start making them again a few years later.  Sometimes they come back under the same model, sometimes with a different name.  A good example is the Les Paul Lite, or Les Paul Less.  This thin lightweight LP has been made off and on since the 80s.

tZyf8s2.jpg

5AgjfAI.jpg

Right now they seem to be going back to basics on the Les Pauls and cutting down the number of different varieties, the Supreme could come back as a Custom Shop guitar.  There are several other semi-hollow guitars that they make so not sure about the return of the 137, but I can't imagine the ES175 being dropped forever, it's an icon.

15 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Gibson through the years has often stopped making a particular model only to start making them again a few years later.  Sometimes they come back under the same model, sometimes with a different name. .................Right now they seem to be going back to basics on the Les Pauls and cutting down the number of different varieties, the Supreme could come back as a Custom Shop guitar.  There are several other semi-hollow guitars that they make so not sure about the return of the 137, but I can't imagine the ES175 being dropped forever, it's an icon.

^This^ for sure.  You can be pretty sure what they make is based on the ability to sell them!  There is no incentive whatsoever for Gibson to stop making any model " wanting to have a finite number of these models". 

With the selloff of the Memphis warehouse guitars to CME, it was said that Gibson "overproduced" in 2016, including the ES-175.  (As things unfolded, there is no reason not to believe that).  So not currently offering it (along with the move to Nashville) makes sense, and reason to believe it will be back.

With the bankruptcy and new CEO, Gibson has recently been very aggressive re-doing their lines and streamlining a profitable line up.  Expect more changes (additions and deletions).

And Reverb is not a store; it is basically a marketplace where individual persons and businesses can sell musical instruments and such (mostly they are used though).  I have never used it to sell or buy, so I am not any expert on it, and may be corrected by someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject.