Gibson Brands Forums

New/old Firebird

SteveFord

Though he had previously played a Les Paul, ES-335, and SG, it’s the 1964 Firebird I that Eric remembers as being truly outstanding. "I remember one night in particular with the Firebird...it was a Cream show in Philadelphia and it was one of the greatest gigs I ever played.”...

This is clearly a case of "1+1=3" from the sales team.

"...it was one of the greatest gigs I ever played..."    does not equate to    "...it’s the 1964 Firebird I that Eric remembers as being truly outstanding..."

If he thought that the Firebird 1 was such an "outstanding" instrument how come there are so few pictures of him actually playing one?

Silly money. It's not even CamCad'd from the original instrument and, regardless how good a F'bird 1 might be for some situations, it's at heart a pretty basic guitar with distinct tonal limitations.

Good luck with selling them, though.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

You have to admire guitar manufacturers' marketing shtick.

The made a copy of Bonamassa's 1963 Firebird I, stuck an Epiphone TRC on it, and sold it for what - $900?

They make a guitar based on a 1964 Firebird I of the same vintage that Clapton used to own 50 years ago, but no longer has, throw in some case candy, and sell it for $8000.

The Firebird is a cheapo.  The Tele Custom he used in Blind Faith, with the strat neck on it?  Fedner is knocking that one off for a mere $11,999.

I had a giant poster of God using that guitar.  Always wanted one.

rct