Gibson Brands Forums

Korina Explorer

F4ls3

Hi,

I'm new around here. Can someone please explain to me how epiphone can make a Korina explorer so cheap.. and yet it costs so so much to get a Gibson one... Is the epiphone actual Korina?.. I mean they list it as being made from Korina on their website..

What's your opinions on the quality of the epi korinas.. should I buy one and put different pickups in it?

Or should I just get a natural finish explorer.. (non-korina)

I've never played a korina epi explorer but I've gigged with a borrowed ebony epi explorer & a korina Gibson explorer -- they were so similar that I honestly cannot remember any difference in feel: same neck profile, same knob/switch layout, scale length, fret wire, tuners... In fact, the only difference I recall was that the Epi had smaller diameter bridge posts.

For my money I would NOT buy a new Gibson, I'd totally buy an Epiphone & stick Gibson pickups in there.

I know of someone that refinished one. They are not soild, some kinda thin veneer. Although they do look good and play nice. A good and inexpensive foundation for all kinds of mods.

No where near the Class of a real Gibsons soild Kornia wood guitars. Kornia wood is real rare and notty, and a lot of waste goes into finding a big enough chunck for a Guitar Body.

Yea it was a friend's, he didn't play in a band and really wanted to see it on stage so I happily obliged. What are friends for?

Go with the Epiphone, in a scenario like this I think it's foolish to buy a gibson cuz this is exactly what you'll be paying tons extra for: that little Gibson inlay on the headstock (and a whole lot of snob appeal). Try to find a used Epi korina, since you'll be going through it with a fine-toothed comb re-setting it up anyway.

the main difference is usually the hardware and quality. epiphone has a second inventory for guitars with paint blemishes and whatnot (mine is a second, and the only thing wrong with it is one screw on the pickguard wasnt perfectly straight :3) and those are usually another 10(ish)% off. but gibsons are overpriced, just for the image. just like caddilacs. theyre just gmc's with some fancy stuff... and not worth the 20k extra =D> id rather have a BMW or somethin thats actually good lol. so basically if you want a korina explorer, get an epi. plays just as good, sounds just as good, and is at least $800 cheaper =P~

You for real man?

Not many people even get the chance to play a $8000 Korina? You sure it was Korina? and not just a natural Gibson Explorer?

all epis are korina unless theyre the prophecy series... theyre not expensive. $499 MSRP (so like 320ish)

as for the 8000... thats a bit of a strech... lol only the 50th anniversary ex is at that price. but its just an excuse to sell a guitar at an insane price... its pretty damn close to the regular one. =D>

all epis are korina unless theyre the prophecy series... theyre not expensive. $499 MSRP (so like 320ish)

as for the 8000... thats a bit of a strech... lol only the 50th anniversary ex is at that price. but its just an excuse to sell a guitar at an insane price... its pretty damn close to the regular one. +:-@

I hate to tell you, but read some of the other posts, korina is a very expensive wood. the epi's are a decent guitar, but not solid korina. hence not the price or the sound. ask eddie van halen about the sound of korina, he played an ibanez korina explorer pre-ban copy on VH 1, and the cut a notch in it and ruined the tone.

Go with the Epi & swap in some Gibson 57 pickups... you'll be happier than a rabbit with 2 carrots, I promise -- for SUCH less $$$$!! Dude, I've played them both quite a bit and they're not tremendously different ... and certainly not different enough for the retarded price difference.

yoda wrote: I hate to tell you, but read some of the other posts, korina is a very expensive wood. the epi's are a decent guitar, but not solid korina.

Some of the Epiphone Explorers ARE solid Korina. Probably none of the newer ones, but if you can get one from 1998 or '99 it could be solid Korina. I've owned 4 Epi Explorers and only one was solid -- the rest had veneers. Unfortunately I didn't record the dates on them before I sold them. But I've had over 100 of the Epi Vs and many of them have been solid Korina. I only have two now -- one made in 1998 which is solid, no veneer, and another made in 1997 which has a veneer! I don't know the logic of this, but my point is that if you look hard enough you can get one that's solid.

Archived