Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts?

Latebloomer69

I’m learning guitar and when the word got around to family this was pulled from step grandparents attic. I cannot find a serial number nor any markings of any kind. It’s in rough shape for sure but if real I would be interested in restoring. Could someone direct me in a direction or squash the idea. Thanks. 37620724-9809-4274-BD00-A7FAB71BDE6F.jpeg.33013ca3b473eb11587856547c16dcd8.jpeg

A70FC384-0FD2-4D66-B851-D41F36CCA076.jpeg

Its tough to tell but that might be a  J-45 - the serial number should be on neck block visible inside the sound hole.

Someone more familiar with these things will be able to tell you with more confidence than i can.  Do you have any more pictures

(I wish this sort of thing happened in my family 😉 )

So you're thinking of learning guitar on a 1946 (-ish) LG-2? It looks like one, judging by the burst, the script logo, and lack of f.o.n. (factory order number) on the neck block inside the guitar. If so, don't just take it to any guitar mechanic- best seek out a vintage Gibson luth to check it out. 

Nice to learn on a guitar that's been in the family. Congrats, and show a few more pics, if you can.

11 minutes ago, Latebloomer69 said:

I have a Taylor 12e for learning. This Gibson is way to rough and is going to need an overhaul I’m sure. It does have the x bracing  but looks to have been worked on already. The clear coat is cracked like crazy. Is the black tape cloth normal?

9828440B-0F8B-493D-B786-EE88E9B90390.jpeg

D04DBEE8-BAF4-4983-854A-4AD0F349E9F0.jpeg

ADB93418-4C85-4DAC-8E8C-26EC6F332BFC.jpeg

Its all possible the heel could of been broken and it was repaired at some point .

When I was in Florida visiting my Mom in 2010, her neighbor loaned me his guitar while I was down. I was surprised to see it was a Gibson LG2 from 1956 (I think). He had no idea it had any value. It was a lovely instrument. The pickguard is different than the one you have but it could be the same model just from a decade later?

mQvZ005.jpg?1

1 hour ago, drathbun said:

When I was in Florida visiting my Mom in 2010, her neighbor loaned me his guitar while I was down. I was surprised to see it was a Gibson LG2 from 1956 (I think). He had no idea it had any value. It was a lovely instrument. The pickguard is different than the one you have but it could be the same model just from a decade later?

mQvZ005.jpg?1

Never seen a LG2 in natural before ,sure its not a LG3?

1 hour ago, drathbun said:

I'm not sure. At the time (nine years ago) I posted this photo on this forum and asked what it was. The consensus was an LG2.

you could be right. you know your Guitars too.. looks pretty nice ..

45 minutes ago, Cabarone said:

Not to be contrary, but I just pulled the trigger on a '17 LG2 American Eagle w/a Natural finish...maybe they changed up over the years?

Probably should be called an LG3!

So, Gibson called them LG3 if they were natural finish from approximately Point A to Point B...😵 except for the ones where the owner has sanded the paint off....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Up until the LG2 American Eagle was issued, circa mid 201x’s, the LG3 was the natural finish version of the LG2, both being X braced.  When the natural finished LG2 American Eagle model was issued, those familiar with the LG2/LG3 historical finish difference, said, what the hey.  But, then they basically welcomed the LG2 American Eagle having a natural finish as it aligns to the long history of model naming inconsistencies in Gibson’s long history.  And, of course, it was great to have the LG3 model back in a current production model, though it was suddenly called a LG2.  But,  the LG2 moniker was also welcomed back as LG2s and 3 were always really identical anyway, except for the different finishes.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

46 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Probably should be called an LG3!

So, Gibson called them LG3 if they were natural finish from approximately Point A to Point B...😵 except for the ones where the owner has sanded the paint off....

28 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

But, then they basically welcomed the LG2 American Eagle having a natural finish as it aligns to the long history of model naming inconsistencies in Gibson’s long history.  

^^^^^^^^^^

These...

Hands up anyone who has played both the LG2 American Eagle AND the post 1955 LG3 like mine (batwing pickguard models)....

My 58 has a chunky D neck but with a 1 11.16" nut and narrow bridge spacing, whereas the newer American Eagle LG2 has the slim modern Gibson neck with the 1.72" nut...don't know the bridge spacing.

If they made another (currently not on their guitar listings), it would be good to make it a chunky neck with 1 3/4" nut for the fingerpickers! Make it any finish you like, Gibson - call it whatever too - maybe the LG23 or the LG32 and you can have both the 2 and the 3!!!

BluesKing777.