Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts?

Latebloomer69

1 hour ago, Latebloomer69 said:

Well haven’t taken it to anyone yet but further inspection found this. I’m sue everything is repairable but looks like quite involved. 

9FE00C4B-E732-49ED-964F-A8D020044C30.jpeg

I'd expect the pin holes to be chewed up a bit on a guitar as old as that, but what worries me is how that bridge plate is peeling away from the top. That doesn't look good at all! It looks like it requires a skilled luthier to remove that bridge plate and repair the top damage and reapply a new bridge plate.

Many bridgeplates and undersides of bridges would look a bit sketchy if anyone could see them.   Until you put strings on the guitar and get a sense if the guitar’s top and bridge are holding in place (and not excessively bellying up so the bridge doesn’t sit firm on the top like it should), I wouldn’t worry about it.  As would a bridge plate that is hanging or missing chunks of wood.  Loose hanging braces on the underside of the top would be a real red alert for repair.   It’s a vintage guitar, so it has some wear in a spot that no one can see.  

When you have an expert luthier look at, the luthier will assess if is structurally fine or structurally not fine.   My suggestion is otherwise assume it’s okay if it turns out to be playable.  

I been playing and owning instruments for 57 years.  I’ve never needed to have a bridge plate replaced.  Although I’ve personally known two players who did, but their guitars’s bridges  were really visually whacked out from the top view and were pulling up from the top severely bellying.   

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

On 8/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, Latebloomer69 said:

. . .  this was pulled from step grandparents attic.  

Oh. That might have something to do with it. 

The hide glue used to affix the bridge plate to the top begins to fail at approx 140 degrees. I'd just recently measured 130 deg in the attic here. 'Guess your glue held, but the top came up (?). Does the top look to have excessive bellying?  Certainly repairable, though.