Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Kahler tremolo

Hi all,

I have a 2012 Les Paul custom.  I was thinking about adding a Kahler tremolo to it.  I found an original 80’s Gibson Kahler tremolo with the Gibson logo on it.  Will adding the Gibson part bring down the value of the guitar?  I would have a certified Gibson shop install it or I would send it to the custom shop for service.

Edited by JPrezioso
Add to question.

Sorry, not familiar with how a Kahler Trem would need to be fitted.  If  you have to drill extra holes in the body etc. then I would say it will devalue the guitar as it could not be put back to original condition without a lot of repairs.  If it is something you could add, then remove and restore the guitar to it's original state then it wouldn't effect the value.

On the other hand if you found a specific buyer who wanted your exact guitar with a Kahler Trem,, he might be willing to pay more than the going price because it would be a customized custom with just the feature he can't find anywhere else.

But generally putting a 1980s part on to a 2012 Custom Shop LP isn't going to help it's value.