Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Height Debate

harmonicchaos

Well, I have no experience with it, but I am willing to venture a guess.

Since when you pick the strings your interrupting a magnetic loop between the strings and the pick ups, the further away the pick up is, the less it will then pick up since the magnetic pull will be less. So you would have less sustain and an overall dimmer note. If you have them real close it would probably just give you a high amount of distortion.

I would venture to say there is a sweet spot for both pick ups. But its subjective on where.

I took my guitar for a setup to one of the best guitar techs in Chicago. He lowered the neck pickup significantly. Sounds great. He also raised some of the individual screws/poles on both pickups.

All I can say is that it sounded much better than when it went in. I did spend a good 20 minutes talking to guy, explaining what I liked and didn't like about the sound I was getting. So many of the adjustments he made were based on that conversation.

Too low, lose volume.

Too high, kill sustain, (magnetism) and you get strange tones from your pickups.

Find the sweet spot somewhere in the middle, and enjoy clean tone, with great sustain.

Isn't lower more bassy and higher more trebly? I find Sharper sound but more "spikey" at higher positions.. Lower gives a more dramatic Clean and a bit more mellow and less frequency variation with distortion... Thats how it sounds to me, maybe its all just personal though.

Archived