Gibson Brands Forums

Crack in Epiphone SG neck next to body 🎸 - guitar repair guru needed!

csburdick

Hi all, I got a crack in the neck of my Epiphone SG right next to the body, see photos.

I tried removing the neck but I'm not sure I can (see third photo) and don't want to force it and make things worse.

How would you suggest fixing this? Is it possible to remove the neck, apply some wood glue and let dry? Would it be better not to remove the neck at all? It looks like the truss rod doesn't go all the way into the body but I can't be sure.

Thanks!

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

There’s no easy way to fix that.  The neck needs to be replaced, which means cutting the old neck out, gluing a new one in, and refinishing the instrument.   You could try bending the neck slightly to open the crack and inject some glue.  If it holds, great.  If not, it would be cheaper to buy a new guitar.  

• Upvote 1

yea,, that's a tuff one to deal with.  Ouch...  btw  the truss rod does not run completely down the entire length of the neck.  if you have any repair techs in your area, I'd try to see what they had to say about it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

yea,, that's a tuff one to deal with.  Ouch...  btw  the truss rod does not run completely down the entire length of the neck.  if you have any repair techs in your area, I'd try to see what they had to say about it.

Ok thank you, I live in a very musical city (Berlin) so I just contacted a few local shops to see what they have to say. Much appreciated!

17 hours ago, csburdick said:

Hi all, I got a crack in the neck of my Epiphone SG right next to the body, see photos.

I tried removing the neck but I'm not sure I can (see third photo) and don't want to force it and make things worse.

How would you suggest fixing this? Is it possible to remove the neck, apply some wood glue and let dry? Would it be better not to remove the neck at all? It looks like the truss rod doesn't go all the way into the body but I can't be sure.

Thanks!

IMG_0631.jpg

It looks like the tung of the neck (in black) that extends under the pickup is still well attached. The sides that are cracked, are unfortunely what provide rigidity, if you can separate enough to inject a thin (like watery) hard fast setting glue you may be able to fix it. But first figure-out how to clamp it immediately after gluing.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure it is worth the time and effort.  Depending on the glue used on the neck tang, it might be removed by steaming, but if it is a newer type glue even routing it out might not work.  No way I'd ever trust a repair at this location, it needs a new neck fitted.  Lots of time and unless the luther charges a flat rate - the meter keeps running.  I've seen cost quotes in the $400 range depending on the neck cost.  Don't assume they will be able to get a replacement neck from Gibson/Epiphone either.

While the typical "Gibson" headstock failure is usually repairable, a neck break like this is fatal - it isn't a dovetail joint like on a acoustic, it's more like a glued-in Fender neck.  The tang is also deep into the body - deeper than the pickup cavity - pretty much the whole thickness of the neck.

Not sure if it is an option but there are on-line dealers who sell "shell" surplus Gibson/Epiphone bodies with necks.  Even a used "shell" would be less expensive than the cost to replace that neck.

Personally I might take a pass even if it was a Gibson SG and I was offered a lot of money to repair it.

I feel your pain - Good luck

• Like 1

That stinks...if there's no other hope for the guitar...you could try to snap the neck off completely and repair it then.

I unfortunately snapped the neck off my epi G400 like 15 years ago. I was able to glue it back together and it plays like a charm...ymmv of course. Sounds kinda extreme to completely break it, but if its the last resort?