Gibson Brands Forums

Humminbird Pro Fret board

WGR

I just purchased a Hummingbird Pro last week and love. The only thing I have a question about is what kind of fretboard are they suppose to have? The description says Rosewood but mine isn't, along with the bridge. Tried to upload pics but they are to large of a file.

• 5 weeks later...

I think the new Hummingbird and Dove Pro (basically any guitar made post-2017) all have Pau Ferro fretboards. Unfortunately, they can look kind of ugly on some guitars due to their light brown wood colour as opposed to the darker rosewood shade that can almost look like ebony. I know what you're talking about because of the example of the limited edition Dove Pro in white, which is a gorgeous guitar, that sadly looks ugly thanks to the Pau Ferro fretboard and bridge. Same with the new Epi Standard Plustops, all stunning ...except for that damn Pau Ferro...

However, CITES could be lifting its restrictions on rosewood for guitars soon, so maybe we'll get darker fretboards back in the near future! I know it shouldn't matter, really, because fretboard colour is totally an aesthetic thing; that doesn't affect the sound or playability at all, but somehow it still matters 😜

Hope this answers your question 😁