Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Black Beauty Toggle Switch

jbirchfield

So heres the deal I bought an epiphone black beauty guitar about 6 years ago. It has to be one of the most beautiful guitsrs i've ever seen. However, through the years and much use the guitars' hardware has become noticeably tarnished and pitted (a problem I understand is common with gold hardware). I really want to restore it to it's former glorly and customize it with some new pick-ups. I have bought new tuning pegs, a new bridge, and my problem is finding a new toggle switch. The current switch is faulty between the middle and rythm positions. I cannot finds a similar toggle switch anywere, is it possibe to wire a standard Gibson three-way toggle switch with the third pick-up, or does anyone nowhere I can find an epiphone black beauty toggle switch?? My other question would be with the pick-ups does anyone know if it would sound better to have 2 bridge position pick-ups and one neck, or two neck position pick-ups and one bridge??

Welcome to the forum!

I would use a Gibson switch, should last a lifetime (as oposed to wasting money on the same switch that failed you after 6 years](*,) )... its better quality and has a better design (the ones in most epis are those that look like a little box arent they?).

The gibson switch should fit just right, there are other brands that make that kind of switch but I would go with gibson.

By the way, got any pics of your giutar?

the gibson (switchcraft) switch won't just drop in. the top is cut thinner in that spot on a real gibson. the switchcraft switch won't reach far enough through the epi to get the nut on the threads. a little dremel work in side the cavity is worth it though.... put a good switch in.

the gibson (switchcraft) switch won't just drop in. the top is cut thinner in that spot on a real gibson. the switchcraft switch won't reach far enough through the epi to get the nut on the threads. a little dremel work in side the cavity is worth it though.... put a good switch in.

I have installed one... and you are right' date=' I had to (don't know what the word is for that so I'll use) "drill" the cavity a little but that was it.

My comment was about the switch actually fitting inside the cavity, as in some guitars you can't use a gibson switch because it will stick out in the back O:) (happened to me too'](*,) )

The current switch is faulty between the middle and rythm positions.

If may be just a case of the contacts becoming tarnished/oxidised; if so then the following might work.

Try squirting the selector switch with an electrical contact cleaner spray. Even something like WD40 (do you have that where you are? You don't mention where you live) or lighter fluid would work at a pinch.

If the switch has the older 'open' type of contacts then it's simply a case of removing the circular plate from the rear of the guitar and you're off.

If the switch has the newer type of 'block' contact then just spray the fluid on to the base of the switch from the top of the instrument and work it down by wiggling the switch. Try to be careful not to get any 'stuff' on the finish

I had an Epi with exactly the same problem but a short squirt and 30 seconds of fast wiggling of the switch had it cured completely.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Snaps will have to be posted, BTW.......

the spring blades on an epi switch are shorter than a switchcraft. so, they get bent harder an have more stress on them when the switch is in either up or down position. they get bent sometimes and have trouble coming back to where they should. if yours is bad on the rhythm side, then i would guess you usually play on just the bridge pup, and that you also store the guitar with the switch in that position. it's a good idea to always store it with the switch in the middle position so you don't stress it (and cause the leaf spring contacts to develop a "memory")

Sorry guys, I live in Terre Huate, In. I've been playing guitar for about 10 years. Unfortunately my knowledge of a guitars electronics and how they work is very limited. I appreciate all of the info and ideas. I think i'll start with the contact cleaner idea, and if that doesn't do the trick I'll try a replacement switch. What I'd really like to do though is have it seriously customized and repaired with the following:

-custom paint job with my bands logo behind the bridge

-the afore mentioned pick-ups

-a thinner and faster neck

-the screw holes from the pick gaurd filled and refinished over (i recently took off the pickgaurd, and i just think les pauls look better w/o them)

-the strap pegs fixed (they are very loose and i always worry about them stripping out)

-the strap pegs fixed (they are very loose and i always worry about them stripping out)

May I humbly suggest that this be considered priority level #1 and be addressed immediately?

Otherwise we'll soon be advising you on what to do with all that firewood you've just found piled up around your feet.....

LOL, Too true, I'm not currently playing the guitar so i'm not too worried about it stripping out and smashing at my feet from the case. I just really love it and want to do something special with it. But rest assured that problem will be addressed as soon as i find out what exactly i'm going to do to it.

BTW thanks eraser team for the links.....it's nice to know that epiphone does have a forum page and that their website directs you to the gibson forum.

epiphone does have a forum page and that their website directs you to the gibson forum.

Funny.. I just went to http://www.epiphone.com and just below the main picture theres the

news history warranty links and the second row has forum.. and it sent me right the Epip forum..

maybe they had a broken link earlier this morning..

Fetish has some good stuff... just not OEM enough for the Gibson LP guys; but for the Epip's and clones its good and cheap... I even have their strap locks.. I'd rate them 11 on a 10 scale.

Archived