Gibson Brands Forums

This maple square has character

E-minor7

Tune-O-matic time indeed - like it or not, I happen to do.  There are hidden possibilities in there, be sure. 

Especially fall for it at the 0:32 mark where the next 4 chords (over which you can sing a little 1964 Dylan, guess title) really hits the essence of these peculiar saddled fliers.

Take a listen and enjoy if possible. If not the sound, then the look, , , ooooohhh. And please tell us why only the maple guitars had the metal-nylon concept.

WHAT was the logic ?

1965 ~ 

Edited by E-minor7
A little nonsense
  • Like 1

My Back Pages! And I love the Dove. The best modern era Dove I've ever played was in Rudy's in Manhattan in 2006, a '60s Reissue with a Tune-O-Matic. Defied all logic, but that thing was just glorious sounding, with a bottom end like a grand piano and a treble end like fine golden bells.

8 minutes ago, Jinder said:

My Back Pages! And I love the Dove. The best modern era Dove I've ever played was in Rudy's in Manhattan in 2006, a '60s Reissue with a Tune-O-Matic. Defied all logic, but that thing was just glorious sounding, with a bottom end like a grand piano and a treble end like fine golden bells.

☺️ Wasn't that song I heard actually.  
What's your take on the maple-Tune-O-Matic* connection. Could be exciting to know. 

*These saddles can do magik, , , of alternative sort. 

Edited by E-minor7

15 minutes ago, 62burst said:

'Was hearing more of You're a Big Girl Now from Blood on the _ (1975) at :32.

Does sound good, and it's aged well. Did other ADJ bridges have that channel cut north of the saddle for super low action?

Wasn't it something they had in order to get in contact with the individual adj. screws. 

Not the song I heard either - keep them comin'. . 

Damn, some of the old emojis are missing...whatever stunning in every way.  Bad timing for me: Just trying to convince myself I can live without a maple acoustic🤔

I think these testdrivers should really state what pick they are using. Sounds like a thick one here. Really like to hear this beauty with a thinner/lighter pick.

1 hour ago, littlejohnny said:

Damn, some of the old emojis are missing...whatever stunning in every way.  Bad timing for me: Just trying to convince myself I can live without a maple acoustic🤔

Maple seems to be the rage around these parts lately. . . BTW- that's a nice maple bird in your avatar. ; ).

4 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

stuck inside of M 🤣

Beautiful guitar that

'Don't know how you got there from the f sharp minor to e minor he was playing on the Dove,  if those chords are in Stuck Inside of __. And it looks like I accidentally transposed You're a Big Girl Now into starting on that f sharp minor he's playing there- I have some kind of mental block on music theory, so don't know how that works. And really don't see how Jinder got My Back Pages. But- an open invitation to anyone who'd like to make a quick clip of the :32 second chords (before the D). 

Everyone has favorite chord progressions- most likely Bob included.

To the OP (sort of)- a very cool redline case with black hardware said to be original is included with this guitar. . . from the Reverb listing:

https://reverb.com/item/25446381-gibson-dove-sunburst-1965

You say you're lookin' for someone
To pick you up each time you fall
To gather flowers constantly
And to come each time you call

That's what I hear anyway.

Many interesting bids - not sure they were recognized here.  Then again Bob is known fly the chords around quite freely over time. 

Btw. don't recall ever seeing him with a Dove.

Cheersss

21 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You say you're lookin' for someone
To pick you up each time you fall
To gather flowers constantly
And to come each time you call

That's what I hear anyway.

Many interesting bids - not sure they were recognized here.  Then again Bob is known fly the chords around quite freely over time. 

Btw. don't recall ever seeing him with a Dove.

Cheersss

Before AzariahJames mentioned that the entire progression was from Tom Petty's Alright for Now, we'd heard it as a little bit of a Dylan song. Ironic that the song Emin7 was hearing, It Ain't Me Babe, and the You're a Big Girl Now that I was hearing, were both transposed from Bmin ->Amin to the F#min ->Emin that was heard on the CME Dove at :32. 'Guess there is something to that music theory business

• Like 1

Ha ! brilliant, Burst - and yes, it's identified. 

The tester showed style by doin' Petty on the Dove. So A.James of course sat everything in right perspective, , ,  thanx for that also. 

Now we only need to get some bids on why old Bozeman exclusively combined maple and t-o-m (not meaning Petty here). 

Is the entire Gibson-community clueless !?!