Gibson Brands Forums

Does it void your warranty to have your DF set up professionally?

Liystalander

I have some serious fret buzz on my DF, and want to take it to a local luthier to have it set up. Does a truss rod or action adjustment void your warranty? Will my DF have to be calibrated? Basically, If I take it in, will I have to worry about/do anything different?

Hi Liystalander,

Truss rod adjustment is not an issue, in fact, Gibson regards lack of performing such (as necessary), which results in neck damage, to be a warranty violation. This adjustment is easily done by you at home (Gibson even supplies the wrench); there are many online sites that cover this very simple adjustment. As for an action setup, your DF came with a PLEK action setup; fooling with this *will* void your warranty. The bridge is adjustable, of course, and using the thumbscrews to raise it is approved/expected, and your warranty will remain in effect.

Since your guitar is new, it will need some time to adjust to the humidity at its new home (Santa Barbara, by the ocean), allowing its neck to reach an equilibrium. I recommend you leave it alone for awhile (at least a month), only adjusting the bridge height if necessary. If you really feel the need to adjust the truss rod, do so in very small (1/8 to 1/4 turn increments, no more!) and keep a close eye on the results. It often takes a day or two for the full effects to become apparent.

In the meantime, play more softly, with finesse, and let your amp do the work. Enjoy!

p.s. Don't let your luthier anywhere near your DF; don't even mention it to him/her (loose lips sink ships, and DF too)!!!

Back when I got my Dark Fire (sans wrench), I asked Gibson Customer Service about it. You see, I had received a wrench with my Robot. I also received a wrench when I got the Blue Silverburst (original) Robot, a guitar I eventually dumped. So, Gibson told me that they were no longer going to be supplying truss rod wrenches with new guitars. We shall probably have to see if this practice continues...

photonutalan1: Why wouldn't you want a luthier near the Dark Fire guitar? I would think a pro could handle it. After all, a (true) luthier builds guitars from scratch. He/She would know more about the ins and outs than I ever will.

RS wrote:

"photonutalan1: Why wouldn't you want a luthier near the Dark Fire guitar? I would think a pro could handle it. After all, a (true) luthier builds guitars from scratch. He/She would know more about the ins and outs than I ever will."

A (true) luthier who builds guitars from scratch probably has no knowledge of CNC technology or computer-controlled PLEK setup. Any changes *will* void your warranty, and probably adversely affect the playability of your instrument. There are many out there who profess to be luthiers; how do you determine who *is* regarding your DF (they're in business to sell you "services", whether you need them or not)? Besides, these adjustments are so basic and easy you should learn to do them yourself, bearing in mind the special needs of your DF (it's so new, I doubt most luthiers have a clue). The best place to get this info, and learn what to avoid, is right here on this forum.

MS also wrote:

"He/She would know more about the ins and outs than I ever will." Not so. It's your playing style, and how your guitar works for you, that's most important, and you're the best judge of that! Learn to make these basic adjustments, and you'll be in charge of how your guitar responds to *your* techniques.

I hope this helps.

photonutalan1: Thanks for the information. I will weigh what you are saying against my view of warranties:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=11531

and what this guy says tomorrow when I go pick up my guitar (I was intending on reporting back to this thread anyway):

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=14652

So, I told John about PLEK before I handed over my guitar. He knew what it was and said he’d be aware of it during his work. I asked him to download the latest manual from Gibson because I knew he would have to take the strings off and would need to be aware not to short out anything inadvertently. He called a couple days ago and said that it was all finished. I intend to ask some follow-up questions and to try a couple of tests while I’m there.

I'll let you know what I find out!

Elantric wrote:

"If you mean the black Allen Wrench - that is not the truss rod wrench, its for adjusting the height of the tailpiece"

I received that, and a truss rod wrench. Who knows; maybe a tech at GC accidentally left it in the case? Peace!

Elantric wrote:

"If you mean the black Allen Wrench - that is not the truss rod wrench' date=' its for adjusting the height of the tailpiece"

I received that, and a truss rod wrench. Who knows; maybe a tech at GC accidentally left it in the case? Peace![/quote']

I received neither. The allen key I don't mind as I have many sitting in my toolbox but the truss-rod adjustment wrench I would have liked to receive... I had to make do with some bits I had lying around put together recently when I made a small adjustment. Not pretty but got the job done. Anyone know where I can buy one of these truss-rod adjustment wrench'es?

I actually prefer the wrench style to the screwdriver style. I feel small adjustments are easier to control. Its so easy to have a ham-fisted moment and go 1/2 turn before you know it with a screwdriver type. On the other hand, the short wrench may mean the arm might get restricted by the strings. Not sure. Either way need one!!! :-)

the wrench i was referring was actually a black allan wrench, i hadn't ever taken the truss cover off so i thought that was what it was for, thanks for clearing that up. luckily i did have the small black screwdriver/truss rod wrench that came with my smartwood lp and that worked really great. i think it'd be easier to you that and just more precisely how much you are turning the nut. You can also only turn it max a little under a half turn at a time which helps control anxiety.

Archived