Gibson Brands Forums

Help with 1950s flattop ID

New to the forum, looking to ID this very well worn Gibson acoustic. The body is 16" across. I struggled with photos, but here is a link:

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/Bobs69BB/library/Gibson

Did a little research, only has a FON ink stamped on headstock, V5856-18 which I think says it is from 1956.

Looks like was originally an electric model converted back to acoustic. The bridge orientation looks backwards to most of the era, with the flat facing towards the neck. The tuning pegs are all metal, which don't look period correct.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

1956 is correct.  You're also correct regarding the tuners not being original.  They are nice tuners, though.

I had trouble getting the photobucket pages to load, seemingly due to their ads.  I tried it in another browser where I use an ad blocker, and nothing loaded at all.  Anyway, from the quick glimpses I got of your main page, I think it might be a J-160E.  They were introduced in 1954.

Hopefully some of the flat-top guys (which I am not) will come along and add more expertise.

Edited by JimR56

Agree with Jim.

It'd be a good one to put back to electric .

I like it.

Here's your photos uploaded. 

Right click your photo and copy the direct link and paste it in your post.

20190831_093428_HDR_zps5ueo8kqg.jpg

20190831_093511_zpsfpc0dmsh.jpg

20190831_093531_zpsawkskvea.jpg

20190831_093541_zpsgt6rkpir.jpg

20190831_094543_zpsr8arvdol.jpg

Gibson_neck_zpsypdckwnb.jpg

Edited by Dave F
updates

Yep, it definitely was/is a J160E. It always amazes me how some of these guitars end up after a lot of years of play and bad repairs, etc. A proper bridge and saddle would be a good start in putting it back together to its former glory. However, it may play fine,as is.