Gibson Brands Forums

2019 lacquer

Craggy

I'd like to ask if the lacquer used on 2019 Gold Tops is check proof? I ask as I've tried to induce lacquer checking with the hairdryer /compressed air method, and it's just resisting it totally. 

I notice the finish is very soft, easily picks up scratches, is that because it hasn't cured maybe? 

• Upvote 1

If it's really lacquer it may not be cured yet. I have not tried aging anything but I have sprayed a bit of lacquer, mostly rattle can. If you get it nice and slick it takes a few coats, like ten to fifteen and that takes a lot of time to fully cure. If you lay that thick of a finish down in a few days it will be like years before it fully cures. Even sanding between coats and that. There is probably some kind of infrared curing/drying system that could help that? 

Ask that Mark Jenny guy. He does nothing but that I think? Lot of guys imitate checking with a razor blade...

I would think that a 2019 LP  finish would be too new to even try to force finish checking. I have a 20 year old Blues Hawk that had been in Washington, in a store hanging on the wall for a long time and I believe the AC dried it out. When I got it it looked pretty good for its age, but after about a month of being exposed to the humid Hawaiian climate, it developed severe checking to the point where the finish was flaking off. 

One of the techniques I had heard to restore and stop the finish checking was to use a hairdryer on it..

In the reverse I heard that freezing an reheating several times would also promote checking... (freezing removes moisture)...

The link below, starting in 2010, has quite a few comments on checking....

How to crack the paint and age a Les Paul?

Edited by mihcmac

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:05 AM, Craggy said:

I'd like to ask if the lacquer used on 2019 Gold Tops is check proof? I ask as I've tried to induce lacquer checking with the hairdryer /compressed air method, and it's just resisting it totally. 

I notice the finish is very soft, easily picks up scratches, is that because it hasn't cured maybe? 

If you live in an area that gets really cold during the winter like below freezing, leave the guitar in the trunk all day while you're at work/school, bring it inside, take it out of the case, play your gig and repeat until desired look is achieved.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, deeman said:

If you live in an area that gets really cold during the winter like below freezing, leave the guitar in the trunk all day while you're at work/school, bring it inside, take it out of the case, play your gig and repeat until desired look is achieved.

Yup.  This is why you are able to buy "vintage" guitars all checked up and stuff.  That's how we did it.  Except, it was the other way around.  Get home a 4am and leave it in the car, you get up at the crack of dinner time, take it back for the next night*, lather, rinse, repeat.

rct

*9pm-2am, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  Lived that schedule from about 15 to about 22 years old.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, rct said:

Yup.  This is why you are able to buy "vintage" guitars all checked up and stuff.  That's how we did it.  Except, it was the other way around.  Get home a 4am and leave it in the car, you get up at the crack of dinner time, take it back for the next night*, lather, rinse, repeat.

rct

*9pm-2am, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  Lived that schedule from about 15 to about 22 years old.

People can look at my '81 Gibson V that I've had for 35 years and played hundreds of gigs with it and tell it's real wear and tear and love.  I even tried to take care of it, tried not to leave it in a cold or hot vehicle for a few hours between gigs or overnight. Sometimes stuff happened. We played (usually) Tues - Sat or Wed - Sat, 10:00 PM to 2:00 or 2:30 AM, different club, difference city each week back in the day. Went to sleep around 4 or 6 AM, got up around 4 PM, got ready, lather, rinse, repeat. Age 16 to 30 or so with that schedule and now about two weekends a month.