Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Craggy

2019 lacquer

Recommended Posts

I'd like to ask if the lacquer used on 2019 Gold Tops is check proof? I ask as I've tried to induce lacquer checking with the hairdryer /compressed air method, and it's just resisting it totally. 

I notice the finish is very soft, easily picks up scratches, is that because it hasn't cured maybe? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's really lacquer it may not be cured yet. I have not tried aging anything but I have sprayed a bit of lacquer, mostly rattle can. If you get it nice and slick it takes a few coats, like ten to fifteen and that takes a lot of time to fully cure. If you lay that thick of a finish down in a few days it will be like years before it fully cures. Even sanding between coats and that. There is probably some kind of infrared curing/drying system that could help that? 

Ask that Mark Jenny guy. He does nothing but that I think? Lot of guys imitate checking with a razor blade...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nitro can be soft when new. I've picked up more than one new Gibson and it felt as if the neck/body was still "tacky" to the touch. I've also picked-up a brand new 2019 SG and it felt perfectly dry to the touch.

You may need to let your GT age a bit before starting to relic it (or don't relic it at all.. Personally, I have never understood the necessity some people feel to do this)

You can read more on Nitro finishes here: https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/all-about-nitrocellulose/

Edited by Hector

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that a 2019 LP  finish would be too new to even try to force finish checking. I have a 20 year old Blues Hawk that had been in Washington, in a store hanging on the wall for a long time and I believe the AC dried it out. When I got it it looked pretty good for its age, but after about a month of being exposed to the humid Hawaiian climate, it developed severe checking to the point where the finish was flaking off. 

One of the techniques I had heard to restore and stop the finish checking was to use a hairdryer on it..

In the reverse I heard that freezing an reheating several times would also promote checking... (freezing removes moisture)...

The link below, starting in 2010, has quite a few comments on checking....

How to crack the paint and age a Les Paul?

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:05 AM, Craggy said:

I'd like to ask if the lacquer used on 2019 Gold Tops is check proof? I ask as I've tried to induce lacquer checking with the hairdryer /compressed air method, and it's just resisting it totally. 

I notice the finish is very soft, easily picks up scratches, is that because it hasn't cured maybe? 

 

If you live in an area that gets really cold during the winter like below freezing, leave the guitar in the trunk all day while you're at work/school, bring it inside, take it out of the case, play your gig and repeat until desired look is achieved.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, deeman said:

 

If you live in an area that gets really cold during the winter like below freezing, leave the guitar in the trunk all day while you're at work/school, bring it inside, take it out of the case, play your gig and repeat until desired look is achieved.

 

Yup.  This is why you are able to buy "vintage" guitars all checked up and stuff.  That's how we did it.  Except, it was the other way around.  Get home a 4am and leave it in the car, you get up at the crack of dinner time, take it back for the next night*, lather, rinse, repeat.

rct

*9pm-2am, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  Lived that schedule from about 15 to about 22 years old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rct said:

 

Yup.  This is why you are able to buy "vintage" guitars all checked up and stuff.  That's how we did it.  Except, it was the other way around.  Get home a 4am and leave it in the car, you get up at the crack of dinner time, take it back for the next night*, lather, rinse, repeat.

rct

*9pm-2am, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  Lived that schedule from about 15 to about 22 years old.

 

I think that's the lifestyle they want people to think they have had, but haven't actually had...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, rct said:

 

Yup.  This is why you are able to buy "vintage" guitars all checked up and stuff.  That's how we did it.  Except, it was the other way around.  Get home a 4am and leave it in the car, you get up at the crack of dinner time, take it back for the next night*, lather, rinse, repeat.

rct

*9pm-2am, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  Lived that schedule from about 15 to about 22 years old.

People can look at my '81 Gibson V that I've had for 35 years and played hundreds of gigs with it and tell it's real wear and tear and love.  I even tried to take care of it, tried not to leave it in a cold or hot vehicle for a few hours between gigs or overnight. Sometimes stuff happened. We played (usually) Tues - Sat or Wed - Sat, 10:00 PM to 2:00 or 2:30 AM, different club, difference city each week back in the day. Went to sleep around 4 or 6 AM, got up around 4 PM, got ready, lather, rinse, repeat. Age 16 to 30 or so with that schedule and now about two weekends a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Hector said:

 

I think that's the lifestyle they want people to think they have had, but haven't actually had...

Yeah because they're fooling those of us who lived it. :)  "Please. I got picks older than you."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...