Gibson Brands Forums

Kossoff's Guitar on All Right Now

Rabs

Paralysis through over- analysis. I've seen quite a few videos of this song being played live, and there was only one guitar part and no Leslie speaker and certainly no digital delays etc. etc.   Granted there may have been more going on in the studio recording, but as the author admits toward the end of the vid, you can't accurately recreate digitally what happened in the good old analog world. 

Christ he plays the main figure like 7 different ways on the recording.  The guy couldn't remember lunch, so what he did each time through was probably completely lost to him.  Why do people insist on demonstrating how smart they are by taking something that needs ZERO analysis and then talk dumb about it?  Just listen to it, do it with your band as well as you can.  It's one of theee most fun songs to play ever, it doesn't need any more than that.

rct

• Upvote 3

On 9/2/2019 at 6:16 PM, rct said:

Christ he plays the main figure like 7 different ways on the recording.  The guy couldn't remember lunch, so what he did each time through was probably completely lost to him.  Why do people insist on demonstrating how smart they are by taking something that needs ZERO analysis and then talk dumb about it?  Just listen to it, do it with your band as well as you can.  It's one of theee most fun songs to play ever, it doesn't need any more than that.

rct

=D>

I've never understood the need to copy a rock/blues song note-for-note whether I had the skill or not. The original artist(s) never play/played anything exactly the same way twice so why should anyone else? Mixing it up a bit is where the fun starts . IMO, of course. YMMV.

And this report just in from 'Pedant's Corner'; whoever did the colour-retouching of the photograph clearly didn't know that the 'burst wasn't a 'burst. Koss had sanded the top back to the bare wood by the time this snap was snapped.

[-X

Pip.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pippy said:

The original artist(s) never play/played anything exactly the same way twice so why should anyone else? Mixing it up a bit is where the fun starts .

I give you two Amens and a twist! Very well stated! 

I hate when another popular artist that do a cover and play it exactly like the original. I like it when they make it there own, put in there some fresh ingredients. Example:  The Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams. Marilyn Manson covered it and took a yawner of a  song and made it awesome.

I've always been lucky to have Other Guitar Player sing it, or be the only guitar player in a band that does this song.  The main figure can only be played by one guitar player, so having the other one sing it, like this band now, leaves me to play it just as apparently sloppy loaded as Paul was most of the time.  Whatever you do, MURDER that friggin solo.  They'll remember you forever if you do.

rct

This is one of the songs on our list and we have three guitarists playing this song at once. Our singer plays guitar, and we also have another lead guitarist/keyboardist along with myself. It's definitely one of my favorites to play and the solo is so fun to play. It's one of those that you gotta learn pretty much note for note because everyone knows it and there's little room for much improvisation. That first note when the bass comes back in has to be just perfect and that Les Paul ringing out that single note is so awesome. It cuts right through.