Gibson Brands Forums

Used 2018 SG Standard Binding/Nut defect

Benm4054

Hello all,

I recently purchased a lightly used 2018 Gibson Standard SG on Reverb. Upon inspection, I see that there is an extreme defect with the nut/binding. In the pictures I have attached, you can see that the binding extends into the nut slot and consequently, the nut was crookedly cut and glued to the binding. I have never seen anything like this. Additionally, it looks like there is red paint on some of the binding.

When I messaged the seller, he became very defensive and explained that the nut/binding issue could easily be repaired (which I doubt). He also stated that the red paint/staining on the fretboard is from the case and is very common.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I’m afraid the guitar may be a fake, although all of the electronics say Gibson and it came with a gibson case, a photo of the guitar from what I presume is the factory, and a Gibson multi tool. It also came with all the paperwork including the manual, warranty card, and factory checklist. 

Im at a loss for what to do 😕

05141A30-EC2D-4E38-94E9-091FF6BEEC06.jpeg

0CEB72E2-E79B-40E3-8CAE-05EBAAFC9945.jpeg

B04B4E63-93A4-4349-939C-DB15D34F6861.jpeg

I've not seen this sort of thing before, but it appears to be a deliberate feature. Where the binding  meets the nut, it stops and a packing pieces applied to fill the gaps. What is between these triangular bits of 'binding' is hopefully more of the nut. Someone more familiar may be able to shed more light about this.

The 'red paint' just looks like body finish that has leached into the binding area a little. Nothing to worry about IMO. 

• Like 1

I never payed attention to were the binding meets the nut before, so I cant form an opinion on that one. I'm sure your SG is not a fake. The red on the binding is over spray that the binding scrappers missed during their phase of the production.  All you're seeing is some small quality control issues from the factory. I would NOT blame the seller. 

Congratulations on the new SG, I know you will love playing for many years to come.

EDIT: I looked at the some of the SGs in the  Gibson catalog and the quality of the nut is shotty by the factory.  The seller is correct, it is an easy fix by any luthier and the average cost is about $50.  Gibson has been know to have QC issues that past couple of years and I think this is what your seeing, thank god it an easy and cheap fix.  

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1

Like Hector said, the binding is fine..  What you're seeing is some lacquer over the side of the nut, which is normal.  You can see the end of the binding meeting the edge of the nut right where it's supposed to be, at the front of the nut.  The smudge of paint or stain on the binding is not unusual at all.  It's just where they didn't scrape it all off the binding before spraying the nitro.  I wouldn't worry about either of those things. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, viper155 said:

Acceptance of this QC issue is unacceptable. When you pay premium money for a premium product you should get just that, a premium product. This is why Gibson has taken the hit it has recently. I'd be pissed off if that was my guitar.

He bought it used

2 hours ago, Hector said:

Odds are, that didn't happen after it left the factory, viper155 is implying that it should never have left the factory like that in the first place, and I agree. When you pay a lot of money for something (like a Gibson guitar), you have a right to expect it to be well finished. In this case, it wasn't so much.

However, does the over-spray of the lacquer and stain on the binding change the sound the guitar makes? No.

Oh, understood. Hell, they could have cleaned that up in no time and effort.

I have taken an exacto knife and scraped some over spray off binding in the past. It's really not that big of a deal. Just more of a refection of the QC than anything else.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

ya know...things can happen,,, at the factory....  like friday's... after a lunch....  at the brew pub....  'hic...

lolz

I was not permitted into the paint shop at Fedner Mecca, regulations and such.  So I had a coffee and a nice cheroot with a handful of painters at a picnic table out by the dock where they were putting pallets of Strats and Teles in trucks to be delivered all across this great land.  I had a b0ner.

They told some good stories, especially the two guys that did sunbursts, by hand, because that is the only way you can do them.  What a great bunch of people, extremely dedicated to what they do, and not a one of them much more than a cowboy chord player.  There was a tele on the picnic table that I was thinking about buying.  It was fun. 

At the acoustic guitar Mecca in PA, we had beers and such with a guy named Chris IV and a few other craftspersons types.  Them too, dedicated, all of them including Chris were much better guitar players than I, even though not a one of them could mash out even a decent version of Alright Now or Smoke On The Water.

I would guess, with all my being and heart and guitar playerness that Gibson Incorporated LLC is chock full of the very same kind of people.  I never made it to there and probably never will now, but I am sure it is much the same, a place that makes guitars and all of the warts that go along with making guitars.  Perfect is the enemy of good.

rct

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rct said:

lolz

I was not permitted into the paint shop at Fedner Mecca, regulations and such.  So I had a coffee and a nice cheroot with a handful of painters at a picnic table out by the dock where they were putting pallets of Strats and Teles in trucks to be delivered all across this great land.  I had a b0ner.

They told some good stories, especially the two guys that did sunbursts, by hand, because that is the only way you can do them.  What a great bunch of people, extremely dedicated to what they do, and not a one of them much more than a cowboy chord player.  There was a tele on the picnic table that I was thinking about buying.  It was fun. 

At the acoustic guitar Mecca in PA, we had beers and such with a guy named Chris IV and a few other craftspersons types.  Them too, dedicated, all of them including Chris were much better guitar players than I, even though not a one of them could mash out even a decent version of Alright Now or Smoke On The Water.

I would guess, with all my being and heart and guitar playerness that Gibson Incorporated LLC is chock full of the very same kind of people.  I never made it to there and probably never will now, but I am sure it is much the same, a place that makes guitars and all of the warts that go along with making guitars.  Perfect is the enemy of good.

rct

I'm sure you are by percentages right.  I don't think any one decides "ya know what, I'm gonna hose this nut and then they can ship it!"

Who knows what passes for "good enough" and what just gets put back in into the gristmill. 

My bar isn't set as high as others, I would consider the binding details as illustrated in this thread  a non issue.

51 minutes ago, Hector said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.. My Framus is significantly better than any of the LP and SGs I have / have had. And I've had quite a few Gibsons in my time.

Never played a Framus, but ogled the web site a few times,, do look like he are very nice guitars,

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, Benm4054 said:

Hello all,

I recently purchased a lightly used 2018 Gibson Standard SG on Reverb. Upon inspection, I see that there is an extreme defect with the nut/binding.

"Extreme"

On 9/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, badbluesplayer said:

I think it's fair to say that's pretty much normal for the finish at the nut...  There could be some grime on the lacquer there.

And you'd be correct to say so.   I checked all three 2018s that I bought brand new (two Standards and a Gary Clark), and they all have the same lacquer lines on the nut.  Some more noticeable than others.  A couple were perfectly at a 45° angle across the nut, both sides.   Almost too precise to have happened at random.   And I noticed some did look as if there may have been some grime of some sort along the lacquer lines.  Btw, I looked over one of the 2017s and it's like this as well. 

You know, I never caught those finish details until this thread.   Guess my OCD isn't as bad as my wife says it is.  😁