Gibson Brands Forums

how to distribute music to small populations

uncle fester

hey folks, I've got a couple small song sets I'd like to be able to give out to people, (friends family etc...  maybe 20 people or so).  Was thinking about burning CDs to give out but didn't know if people had input on better ways to go.  Maybe just build a set list on Soundcloud...it's a way to do it, but an impersonal way to go about it.  Anyone have input on ways to go about this?

Rgds and thanks for any input  - billroy

DropBox would be one option.

you can the just send invitations to only people you want to hear them. 

When we're working on originals and passing around working copies, this is what we use.

Sound Cloud is cool, but once there, you're "stuff" is pretty much there for any one to hear. (there may be ways to lock it down..  not sure)

Also I've used Sound Click in the past  I think they are still running, but it was more like SoundCloud  IIRC

34 minutes ago, billroy said:

Thanks folks.

KB - for collaborating / sharing back and forth I like the drop box idea, but as a little holiday gift.

oh,,,  didn't see that in your post.  A CD is probably the way to go about.  Thumb drive could work, but the CD is the essential "plug and play" kind of media to use

1 hour ago, Hector said:

I have to disagree here. A lot of today's laptop computers no longer come with CD/DVD drives, and a lot of people listen on their computers or other portable devices....

I think your right on that, and really the root of the question - how to get the songs to a point they can easily access on their listening devices.  Where I'm out of touch with what are folks using today to listen to music.  I use google play in the car myself, have a cd player in there as well, but nowhere else.

My audience is really only so big, (so I can ask most at Thanksgiving :) - but I wasn't sure who still had access to play CDs or not.  If that's not the answer, then a thumbdrive that can load the songs anywhere sounds good.

2 hours ago, Hector said:

I have to disagree here. A lot of today's laptop computers no longer come with CD/DVD drives, and a lot of people listen on their computers or other portable devices....

only if the only way you listen to music is on PC....   Here's a crazy notion... --- some people still have CD players in their cars and homes,,,, believe it or not...  it's twue..

screw it bill, just bring your guitar to their house, and sing for them........  wth?? right?

Edited by kidblast
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

screw it bill, just bring your guitar to their house, and sing for them........  wth?? right?

like I don't already do that!  🙂

CD players - I think some people still have them, but less and less... 

Vinyl - I like the idea but would have to give record players to each...  although that would be pretty cool as well.

4 minutes ago, billroy said:

like I don't already do that!  🙂

CD players - I think some people still have them, but less and less... 

Vinyl - I like the idea but would have to give record players to each...  although that would be pretty cool as well.

yes.. it's true,  the whole "media" state of music has really changed in the last 20 years.

I still run CDs in my car, but I also stream a lot too, and most of what I listen to hanging around the shack is streamed via blue to some sort of Blue Tooth speaker (JBL Charge 3 for example, or the Bose S1.    I'm also a big fan of Spotify,  then there's the infamous iPod...  but the for the idea of a "Gift" that's boxed/wrapped,, I'd be going with a CD, regardless of the techno state, cuz everyone has something different.  Most people DO still have a CD player,  or maybe I'm just walking directly from 2019 into 1985,,  If I find my way back, I'll bring back some leopard spandex pants and a head band for ya..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1