Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior measurement needed

Hi. i am building a replica/clone of a vintage single cut Les Paul Junior. I am planning to use an uncompensated stop-wrap tailpiece as used on the original mid 1950’s models. There is little room for error with the intonation...only the two small set screws to adjust...so I am requesting the actual measurement from any owners of vintage or reissue models that use an uncompensated stop-wrap unit. The measurement from the 12 th fret to each stud center would be easiest to use. If anyone knows of a drawing, that also would be very helpful. Thanks.

You are probably right. But I think if 10 people here measure their guitars from the 12th fret to the bridge studs, you will get way more than a hairs difference in measurements. I would be willing to bet that if 10 of us measured the same guitar our measurements would vary by several hairs. That's not fudge.  I think that there is a rule used to compensate for the heavier strings on the bass side that seems to say about 3 degrees longer. But it's the 'about' that would scare me. I think you would be much better off to search the available blue prints, find one that fits your plan and use a good ruler, rather than trust several people to use several rulers to measure several guitars. I just don't see that as having a happy ending.

Good luck.