Gibson Brands Forums

1957 J-50

amp

A miracle occurred on eBay a few weeks ago. A J-50 Factory Lefty from 1957! So, I couldn't resist. Especially since my hubby (rar) has a 1958 J-50. What a cool guitar! It was starting a crack along the neck from the pick guard shrinking, so I got that taken care of and a re-fret. Now it's great. And it sounds just like it looks.

j50-front.jpg

j50-back.jpg

two-j50s.jpg

Here's the two of them together. Pretty cute, huh? I like my pick guard better. More girly, maybe.

Anne

It has a regular finish but with lots of crackling. It doesn't show much in the picture because of the light color of the wood, but the crackling on the top gives a really nice look to it.

Anne

First thing we did when we got home was play some stuff together. Johnny Cash sounds pretty swell played on two old J-50's. Nice bass. He recommends different strings, so we'll probably change them soon. The ones on it now are a bit bright.

Anne

First thing we did when we got home was play some stuff together. Johnny Cash sounds pretty swell played on two old J-50's. Nice bass. He recommends different strings' date=' so we'll probably change them soon. The ones on it now are a bit bright.

Anne

[/quote']

Can't go wrong with Johnny Cash! What strings are you going to put on?

What strings are you going to put on?

I figured I'd better answer this one, since I doubt Anne knows. :-({|= After some experimentation, I've settled on DR Sunbeams -- phos bronze, round core -- for my J-50. So the plan is to give 'em a try on hers, and see how she likes 'em. It's got D'Addarios on it now.

-- Bob R

I figured I'd better answer this one' date=' since I doubt Anne knows. :) After some experimentation, I've settled on DR Sunbeams -- phos bronze, round core -- for my J-50. So the plan is to give 'em a try on hers, and see how she likes 'em. It's got D'Addarios on it now.

-- Bob R[/quote']

Hi Bob,

Not sure how the Sunbeams compare to the DR Rares but I tried the DR Rare pb and when I first put them on I left the guitar tuned down 2 full steps for about a week and experimented with different songs. After a week, I tuned it up a step to DGCFAD and left it for another week. By the time i got the strings up to standard tuning, I wasn't that crazy about them but I think it's probably because I played the daylights out of them before I even got them up to standard! They sure sounded good tuned down tho'.

Archived